Trigger monitor not stopping
Jantje .
2014-04-08 11:50:51 UTC
Windows Server 2008 R2 (Windows version 6.1.7601)
Websphere MQ 7.1.0.3

Trigger monitor service defined like this:

DEFINE SERVICE ('TQS.TRIGGER.MONITOR') +
DESCR('TQS Trigger Monitor') +
STARTCMD('C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere MQ\bin\runmqtrm.exe') +
STARTARG('-m +QMNAME+ -q SYSTEM.DEFAULT.INITIATION.QUEUE') +
STOPCMD('C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\WebSphere MQ\bin\amqsstop.exe') +
STOPARG('-m +QMNAME+ -p +MQ_SERVER_PID+') +
STDOUT('D:\IBM\WMQ\errors\TQS.TRIGGER.MONITOR.stdout.log') +
STDERR('D:\IBM\WMQ\errors\TQS.TRIGGER.MONITOR.stderr.log') +
CONTROL(QMGR) +
SERVTYPE(SERVER) +
REPLACE

Now, when I try to stop this trigger monitor via the Websphere MQ Explorer,
the status of the service shows as "stopping" and nothing else happens; the
runmqtrm process keeps on going. Same when I use the MQSC command:
stop service(TQS.TRIGGER.MONITOR)
The status of the service changes, but the service does not stop.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks and very best regards,

Jantje.

Tim Zielke
2014-04-08 14:21:04 UTC
Hi Jantje,

When you turn on command events, do you see amqsstop sending commands to the queue manager? Or any errors being reported in the command events that amqsstop is sending?

Thanks,
Tim

Jantje .
2014-04-09 15:21:34 UTC
Post by Tim Zielke
Hi Jantje,
When you turn on command events, do you see amqsstop sending commands to
the queue manager?

Enabled command events and the queue is filling rapidly. OK, so I'll download
supportpac MH05, I guess... Which is a challenge on a machine that has been
isolated from the Internet.

I'll talk to the infra admins and get back.

Thanks for the suggestion, in any case.

Jantje.

Tim Zielke
2014-04-09 15:25:35 UTC
I'm not sure what MQ monitoring tools you have, but they may have ways to view the events in a human readable format that wouldn't require setting up MH05. We use IR360, which does this nicely.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Zielke
2014-04-09 16:38:41 UTC
Also, one other debugging option is to run a strmqtrc like the following:

strmqtrc -m qmgr -t all -p amqzmgr0,runmqtrm,amqsstop

and then stop the trigger monitor service.

When I do this on my Linux sandbox queue manager, I see a trace for amqsstop and also references of the amqsstop program being invoked in the amqzmgr0 trace. This could help to see if amqsstop is being invoked, or if amqzmgr0 is reporting any issues in invoking it.

Thanks,
Tim

Jantje .
2014-04-10 14:43:06 UTC
Post by Tim Zielke
We use IR360, which does this nicely.
I wish...

Apart Notepad, I have about nothing at all...

Jantje.

Tim Zielke
2014-04-10 15:50:39 UTC
Do you have the MS0P supportpac in your Windows MQ Explorer? That is another option to view Events, too.

2014-04-11 11:57:28 UTC
Thanks to all that responded.

Turns out the "IBM MQSeries" service was not running. Apparently, this does not
hamper the queue manager too much, except when services need to be stopped
or started.

Cheers,

Jantje.