Support - IBM WebSphere MQ V7.5 client?
Ryan Finnesey
2013-12-01 01:06:19 UTC
Hope everyone that celebrated had a great thanksgiving holiday. I had a question regarding IBM support and the MQ Client. From the documents I have read support is only offered if I have a license for WebSphere MQ Server? Is there a support option for solutions that are just using the client?

Cheers
Ryan

Sent from my iPad
Neil Casey
2013-12-01 02:34:51 UTC
Hi Ryan,

I’m not sure how you could have a solution which only uses the client. The client would have to connect to a server somewhere. If there is a problem, whoever is running the licensed server should be able to request support.

For a non-production environment using WebSphere MQ Advanced for Developers (free) the level of support offered would match the dev edition support, which is none at all. See https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/c565c720-fe84-4f63-873f-607d87787327/entry/october_4_2013_10_13_am?lang=en&cm_sp=MTE28502

Or there is a new licensing option for Developers at USD 2500 per seat. This does include 12 months support. I’m not sure whether this is an annual license or a perpetual license, but I suspect it is annual. Some details are at https://www-112.ibm.com/software/howtobuy/buyingtools/paexpress/Express?part_number=D0Z6ILL%2CD0Z6KLL&catalogLocale=en_US&Locale=en_US&country=USA&PT=jsp&CC=USA&VP=&TACTICS=%26S_TACT%3D%26S_CMP%3D%26brand%3Dnone&ibm-submit=View+US+prices+%26+buy and http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/zones/businessintegration/wmq.html

Regards,

Neil Casey.
Ryan Finnesey
2013-12-01 04:35:01 UTC
Hi Neil

Sorry if I was a bit unclear regarding the solution. There is a MQ Server in the solution but it is operated by a separate company so I do not think we would be able to use there support agreement.

We would connect to the MQ Server via a VPN and then read and post messages to a queue.

What I would like to do is develop a .net application that will run within a Azure Worker Role and connect to the remote queue. From what I have been reading to be a supported solution we need to install the full client and not just the dll/library. I was researching if IBM supported installing the MQ Client within an Azure Worker Role and I came across a general support statement regarding having to have a license for MQ Server.

IBM has been very difficult to work with regarding licensing information and supported solutions.

My end goal is to have a supported solution that is HA and passes messages between MQ and Azure Service Bus Queues.

Cheers
Ryan

Sent from my iPad