RLIMIT_NPROC setting for mq
Costa, D. (Damian)
2014-06-06 08:54:56 UTC
Hi all,
How do I determine what the optimal value for this setting RLIMIT_NPROC should be?
When I started a qmgr on a redhat v6 zlinux partition on an S390x hardware and it threw this error:
" The system resource RLIMIT_NPROC is set at an unusually low level for WebSphere MQ."

I tried to google something that would assist but haven't had much luck.

So would this value be static across the development test and production environments or would I increase it linearly/exponentially until production is reached?

Thanks.

********************
Nedbank Limited Reg No 1951/000009/06. The following link displays
the names of the Nedbank Board of Directors and Company Secretary.
[ http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/DirectorsNedbank.htm ]
This email is confidential and is intended for the addressee only.
The following link will take you to Nedbank's legal notice.
[ http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/EmailDisclaimer.htm ]
Neil Casey
2014-06-06 09:45:34 UTC
Hi Damian,

there’s a tech note about just this subject…

Unfortunately, it provides guidance about suitable values for a standard environment, but it will get you past your current issue.

Regards,

Neil Casey
Tim Zielke
2014-06-06 12:50:03 UTC
Hi Damian,

What I would do if I was concerned with this RLIMIT_NPROC value is first go with the recommended value, and then write a script to periodically monitor how many threads the mqm id has running to get a feel for your high water mark and if it needs to be adjusted higher.

Also, I believe with the Linux kernel 2.6.32 and higher, it supports dynamically changing limits values like "Max processes" (i.e. no need to recycle the queue manager after the change). I have tested this out successfully on our SLES 11 MQ sandbox server. We are currently at Red Hat 5 (which is below 2.6.32), so I couldn't test it on Red Hat. You may feel more comfortable though with just making the rlimit change and recycling the queue manager. But it is good to know that the dynamic limit change option is there with later versions of the Linux kernel.

Thanks,
Tim