supporting MQ clients in the business world
Costa, D. (Damian)
2014-02-12 07:18:49 UTC
Hi all, just getting general feeling for the level of support you all do for MQ clients within your organizations.
Do you :
A: Assist with all the aspects of the MQ client , installs configuration debugging app errors, etc. etc.
B: Assist with connectivity issues but stay away from all supporting functions relating to the MQ client API's?
C: Other (if other could you give an idea what that is?)

My concern is that we are already stretched from an MQ server admin level to add the MQ client support on us would effectively overburden the team.
Thanks.

********************
Nedbank Limited Reg No 1951/000009/06. The following link displays
the names of the Nedbank Board of Directors and Company Secretary.
[ http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/DirectorsNedbank.htm ]
This email is confidential and is intended for the addressee only.
The following link will take you to Nedbank's legal notice.
[ http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/EmailDisclaimer.htm ]
Ian Alderson
2014-02-12 10:43:46 UTC
Damian,
When working in an Engineering function in a large organization, the engineering team was responsible for A and separate regional teams of MQ Admins were responsible for B. This demarkation was partly organizational and partly resource/skill constrained. As time went on more of the businesses came to the engineering team to troubleshoot MQ API related issues. We even told vendors how to fix their code from time to time (perhaps I should have charged a fee for that!).

Now I work in a smaller organization I find I am doing everything again a la the 90's.

I think it really depends on the philosophy and size of your organization for who does what. I think application API standards are important to establish for MQ Client behaviour, especially when connecting to Queue Managers hosting many applications. And hopefully that will also help head off too many repetitive questions. And having tools in place for developers to view and delete messages in a Dev environment is also key to keeping down the workload for the MQ Admins.

Hope that helps.

Ian Alderson
MQ Technical Architect

DL 0203 003 3055

Ignis Asset Management

Fixed Income | Equities |Real Estate |Advisors |Solutions
150 Cheapside | London | EC2V 6ET

http://www.ignisasset.com
http://twitter.com/IgnisAM
http://www.linkedin.com/companies/ignis-asset-management

Hi all, just getting general feeling for the level of support you all do for MQ clients within your organizations.
Do you :
A: Assist with all the aspects of the MQ client , installs configuration debugging app errors, etc. etc.
B: Assist with connectivity issues but stay away from all supporting functions relating to the MQ client API's?
C: Other (if other could you give an idea what that is?)

My concern is that we are already stretched from an MQ server admin level to add the MQ client support on us would effectively overburden the team.
Thanks.

********************
Nedbank Limited Reg No 1951/000009/06. The following link displays the names of the Nedbank Board of Directors and Company Secretary.
[ http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/DirectorsNedbank.htm ] This email is confidential and is intended for the addressee only.
The following link will take you to Nedbank's legal notice.
[ http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/EmailDisclaimer.htm ]
********************

The information contained in this email (including any attachments transmitted within it) is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the named person.
The unauthorised access, copying or re-use of the information in it by any other person is strictly forbidden.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by return email to ***@ignisasset.com.

Internet communication is not guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus free. We accept no liability for any harm to systems or data, nor for personal emails. Emails may be recalled, deleted and monitored.

Ignis Asset Management is the trading name of the Ignis Asset Management Limited group of companies which includes the following subsidiaries: Ignis Asset Management Limited (Registered in Scotland No. SC200801), Ignis Investment Services Limited* (Registered in Scotland No. SC101825)
Ignis Fund Managers Limited* (Registered in Scotland No. SC85610) Scottish Mutual Investment Managers Limited* (Registered in Scotland No. SC88674)
Registered Office: 50 Bothwell Street, Glasgow, G2 6HR, Tel: 0141-222-8000 and Scottish Mutual PEP & ISA Managers Limited* (Registered in England No. 971504)
Registered Office: 1 Wythall Green Way, Wythall, Birmingham B47 6WG and Ignis Investment Management Limited (Registered in England No. 5809046)
Registered Office: 150 Cheapside, London, EC2V 6ET Tel: 020 3003 3000. Scottish Mutual is a registered trade mark of Scottish Mutual Assurance Limited

*Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Tim Crossland
2014-02-13 10:35:24 UTC
The answer to this depends upon the size of the organisation and the number of clients.

My experience is that for large organisations with a large number of clients in use, the installation of clients and initial debugging often lies with the Application support teams.

With this model, the MQ support team may only get involved if there appears to be an issue with the MQ server.

In this sort of environment, it is a good idea to provide guidance on best practices to application development teams.

For smaller organisations, or for ones that have a small number of clients, the MQ support team may also install clients and provide more support at the client end.

Tim Crossland
Senior Consultant

M: +44 (0)7725 208776
T: +44 (0)207 147 9955

[ZA102637858]<https://twitter.com/iconsolutions>[ZA102637857]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/icon-solutions-uk-ltd?trk=hb_tab_compy_id_549225>
[icon]<http://www.iconsolutions.com/> Solutions Ltd www.iconsolutions.com

Hi all, just getting general feeling for the level of support you all do for MQ clients within your organizations.

Do you :

A: Assist with all the aspects of the MQ client , installs configuration debugging app errors, etc. etc.

To unsubscribe, write to LISTSERV-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org<mailto:***@LISTSERV.MEDUNIWIEN.AC.AT> and, in the message body (not the subject), write: SIGNOFF MQSERIES Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the Listserv General Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com

Lonkoski, Scott T (CTO Service Delivery)
2014-02-13 10:58:34 UTC
On my account the MQ Admin team handles many of the client installs - that way we know they get the current version and a full install - but as you know any app can download and install client and/or simply copy jar files. We typically don't support clients after the initial install and test connection. Having said that, whenever a client complains that MQ is broken we simply ask for the MQ error code, channel name and server name they connect to. If it's an error on the QMGR side we of course work on it. (chances are we already are and knew of the issue before they did). If it's a client side error we try to assist on some level and point them in the right direction, but we do not truly support clients, too many variables (and clients!)

Scott Lonkoski
IBM Strategic Outsourcing Delivery - The Hartford Account
WebSphere MQ/WMB/BMTM Support Team Lead
Hartford email: slonkoski-***@public.gmane.org
IBM email: slonkosk-r/Jw6+rmf7HQT0dZR+***@public.gmane.org
Pager 1-860-247-8313

Hi all, just getting general feeling for the level of support you all do for MQ clients within your organizations.
Do you :
A: Assist with all the aspects of the MQ client , installs configuration debugging app errors, etc. etc.
B: Assist with connectivity issues but stay away from all supporting functions relating to the MQ client API's?
C: Other (if other could you give an idea what that is?)

My concern is that we are already stretched from an MQ server admin level to add the MQ client support on us would effectively overburden the team.
Thanks.

********************
Nedbank Limited Reg No 1951/000009/06. The following link displays the names of the Nedbank Board of Directors and Company Secretary.
[ http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/DirectorsNedbank.htm ] This email is confidential and is intended for the addressee only.
The following link will take you to Nedbank's legal notice.
[ http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/EmailDisclaimer.htm ]
********************

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.
Glenn Baddeley
2014-02-13 22:26:11 UTC
MQ Client support is not a great burden. The most common issue is badly
designed / coded applications that don't use connection pooling or long
running connections, or don't disconnect cleanly. These behaviours should be
picked up in Development or Testing by MQ Admins, so that they don't cause
headaches in Production. MQ Admins should not be fixing the code!

I've seen an app complain of poor performance, because they wanted 50
transactions per second and every one of them was doing MQCONN / MQOPEN
x 2 / MQPUT / MQGET / MQCLOSE x 2 / MQDISC over MQ Client and a busy
network !!!

HTH,
Glenn
Coles Supermarkets Australia Pty Ltd

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 07:18:49 +0000, Costa, D. (Damian)
Post by Costa, D. (Damian)
Hi all, just getting general feeling for the level of support you all do for MQ
clients within your organizations.
Post by Costa, D. (Damian)
A: Assist with all the aspects of the MQ client , installs configuration
debugging app errors, etc. etc.
Post by Costa, D. (Damian)
C: Other (if other could you give an idea what that is?)
My concern is that we are already stretched from an MQ server admin level
to add the MQ client support on us would effectively overburden the team.
Post by Costa, D. (Damian)
Thanks.