MQ 2019 Error
Ward, Mike S
2013-09-10 18:53:16 UTC
Hello all, we are running MQ V7.1 Broker V8, and z/OS V113. We have a client applications that continually get a 2019 return code. According to the messages manual it appears that there may be a programming error at the Windows server and not on the Mainframe. The Client at the windows server is using MQ V7.1 client software with FP 1. We never see any error on the MF when they receive the 2019 return code. Is the MF passing the return code back to the server or is the client software telling the program that it has an error and the message never gets to the MF?

Any help on this appreciated.

==========================
This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this message by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Thomas Dunlap
2013-09-10 19:18:18 UTC
Mike,

A REASON code of 2019 means a bad HOBJ handle. You get this if the
application is issuing an MQGET or MQPUT or MQCLOSE without first
successfully performing and MQOPEN. Many times this is a secondary
error on an MQ call due to an error on a previous MQ call, particularly
an MQOPEN.

To answer your question, it is being presented by the mainframe due to
the call from the client but the problem is really occurring due to the
client application and it's coding.

Cheers,
Tom
Tim Zielke
2013-09-10 20:07:46 UTC
Hi Mike,

For this type of 2019 issue, running an MQ API trace (strmqtrc -t api) on the Windows client application can be very helpful in understanding why the application got a 2019. This assumes you can recreate the problem somewhat quickly and it is appropriate to incur the overhead (performance overhead and traces can write a lot of data) for your environment. If this is a Java/JMS client application, then you are out of luck with being able to use strmqtrc. But there are other options for a Java/JMS client application trace.

We just recently had a reported issue with an application that was using MQCB (managed callback), and running an MQ API trace on the application was invaluable in helping to get to what looks to be the bottom of the issue.

Thanks,
Tim