MQ start in disaster recovery scenario
Garcia Juanino, Jorge
2014-09-15 11:23:33 UTC
Hello:

It's my first post in this fórum. Our experience in MQ z/OS is low and we have a lot of questions about the MQ manage.
The first is about the recover process in a disaster recovery scenario with high activity in channels and queues. In our test scenario when we replicated the MQ devices to a disaster recovery site and there was a high activity, the manager start in a disaster recovery lpar failed with a system abend (we don't remember the code) about consistency of RBA . The workaround was to replicate device in a time with a low activity. In this situation the manager start always works fine.
My question is about a real disaster recovery situation. The channels and queues are with a lot of message in fly. In this scenario we suppose that it's impossible support the messages consistency in MQ channels and queues and you must execute a MQ cold start. Our question is, what's the way to do a MQ cold start? Define a new BSDS, LOG and PSID? Only one of them? Start the manager with a new parm?

Regards

Jorge Garcia Juanino
Gerente sistemas z/OS
ACTP - DIAC - Operación y Soporte EMEA
MAPFRE
Avenida del Talgo 100-103 - 3ª Planta
28023 Madrid
Tfno.: 91 581 27 34 - Extension interna: 412734<https://webdialer/WaitRealizarLlamadaFirma.aspx?date=201203071623553351&msgtype=2&ndest=412734&timer=5000&language=ES&css=default/style&hash=22dcf094f3d1136f55ea7538bf3602e2>
Movil: 618333559
jgarci12-Yu+yOSpmLcTQT0dZR+***@public.gmane.org<mailto:jgarci12-Yu+yOSpmLcTQT0dZR+***@public.gmane.org>

[cid:image001.jpg-***@public.gmane.org]

Vogtmann, Wallace B
2014-09-15 12:17:12 UTC
Per the manual (v7)
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0m0/topic/com.ibm.mq.csqsaw.doc/za12720_.htm

Reinitializing a queue manager
If the queue manager has terminated abnormally you might not be able to restart it. This could be because your page sets or logs have been lost, truncated, or corrupted. If this has happened, you might have to reinitialize the queue manager (perform a cold start).

Attention
You should only perform a cold start if you cannot restart the queue manager any other way. Performing a cold start enables you to recover your queue manager and your object definitions; you will not be able to recover your message data. Check that none of the other restart scenarios described in this chapter will work for you before you do this.

When you have restarted, all your WebSphere® MQ objects are defined and available for use, but there is no message data.

________________________________

Paul S Dennis
2014-09-15 21:01:52 UTC
I am slightly concerned that you had issues with your DR testing. It is
perfectly possible to start a queue manager when executing a DR test, even
when the queue manager has been under load. I think it would probably be
worth revisiting this again, to see if you can identify why it didn't work
in your situation. On thing to not is that you should be replicating your
logs, BSDS and pagesets all in the same consistency group. You will run
into difficulties if this isn't the case. Of course, depending on what
other MQ stuff you have going on in your network, there might be a slight
mismatch between your recovered QMGRs at the DR site, and the rest of your
MQ network. So there is a potential for duplication/lost messages,
depending on your exact configuration, and what is being failed over.
However, it should be possible to bring up the QMGR without requiring a
cold start.

Thanks
Paul

Paul Dennis
WebSphere MQ for z/OS Development

From: "Garcia Juanino, Jorge" <***@MAPFRE.COM>
To: ***@LISTSERV.MEDUNIWIEN.AC.AT,
Date: 15/09/2014 12:48
Sent by: MQSeries List <***@LISTSERV.MEDUNIWIEN.AC.AT>

[...]

***@mapfre.com

List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Garcia Juanino, Jorge
2014-09-16 14:23:03 UTC
Thanks Paul. We'll try to execute the same DR test. If the manager doesn't start again we'll send you the abend. Of course, we'll replicate the logs, bsds an pagetes together in the same group.

Regards

From: "Garcia Juanino, Jorge" <jgarci12-***@public.gmane.org<mailto:***@MAPFRE.COM>>
To: MQSERIES-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org<mailto:MQSERIES-0lvw86wZMd9k/***@public.gmane.orgIEN.AC.AT>,
Date: 15/09/2014 12:48
Sent by: MQSeries List <MQSERIES-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org<mailto:MQSERIES-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org>>

Glenn Baddeley
2014-09-16 23:54:40 UTC
Post by Garcia Juanino, Jorge
Of course, depending on what other MQ stuff you have going on in your network, there might be a slight
mismatch between your recovered QMGRs at the DR site, and the rest of your MQ network. So there is a
potential for duplication/lost messages, depending on your exact configuration, and what is being failed over.
Some MQ DR plans stipulate that queue managers at DR sites will be restarted and handed over for app usage with empty application queues and transmission queues. Reconciliation of missing or duplicate messages is the responsiblity of the applications, to resend messages or eliminate duplicates. Restarting a queue manager with a bunch of queued messages in an unknown application processing state may only serve to muddy the waters. This is not such an issue with DR queue managers that are synchronous or near-synchronous replicated to the queue managers.

Cheers,
Glenn Baddeley
Coles Supermarkets Australia Pty. Ltd.

Wisdom, Stephen (Sean Wisdom)
2014-09-16 23:37:07 UTC
All,
I’ll offer my little tips garnered at various shops I’ve worked on/for.
Tune your PROD qmgrs to checkpoint around every 20 minutes. On Dev environments I’ve found that
Forcing this via automation (3 times a day IIRC) the only reliable method due to their nature of use.
I’ll echo the consistency group settings mentioned. Been there, done that etc.
You should always have a checkpoint setting job lying around, as you may need (and I’ve hit this)
To specify a checkpoint restart point – if your Qmgr happened to have been “snapshotted”
When it is performing an archive log. I would also recommend you maintain a recovery options
Dataset (including all JCL members required for a COLD Start ) for your Qmgr’s depending on
your shop’s setup.

HTH
Sean Wisdom
HPES MQ