RFE 38777 - strmqtrc support for all MQ client applications
Tim Zielke
2013-09-03 16:50:47 UTC
Hello,

I recently became aware that strmqtrc does not produce any trace records when you use it on a Java/JMS client application. I opened a PMR with IBM MQ support and they confirmed this is the case. When you run a strmqtrc on a client application written in C, you do get the expected trace records. Maybe I am missing it, but when I look in the MQ manual, I don't see any language saying that strmqtrc will not work on a Java/JMS client application. strmqtrc does currently work on a Java/JMS application that connects in bindings mode. Regardless of why this is the case, I would like to see strmqtrc to work on all client applications (i.e. Java, JMS, etc.) like it currently does with a client application written in C. I use strmqtrc quite often to help with application debugging or less frequently for reported MQ gross performance issues.

Here is the RFE. I would appreciate your vote if you would find this enhancement useful.

RFE -> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=38777

To vote, locate the "RFE Actions" section on the right hand side of the screen and click the vote link.

Tim Zielke

CICS/MQ Systems Programmer

Aon

Meekin, Paul
2013-09-04 07:30:08 UTC
Hi Tim,

Yes, that does seem counter-intuitive. As I'm sure you are aware you need to use other means to trace Java applications and these can be found here along with loads of other good tracing info:

Cheers,
Paul

________________________________

Neil Casey
2013-09-04 08:11:45 UTC
Hi Tim,

one fundamental difference between the client and binding connection from Java is that the binding connection reuses the standard libraries to interface to the queue manager, whereas the client binding uses custom written pure java code. If the standard library was used for the client, the tracing would operate as expected for both client and server bindings.

There are a number of reasons why custom java libraries for the MQ client can be frustrating for MQ administrators, and this trace issue is one of them.

You might like to look at the RFE relating to this issue which I raised back in May…

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=35064

It is asking for an option to allow the C client libraries to be used from Java, in much the same way that the bindings libraries are used. The use case that I suggested was SSL related, so that standard CMS key stores could be used from a stand alone JVM, rather than having to use JKS stores and separately manage a secure passphrase. But you could certainly think about adding your vote, together with a comment describing the tracing issue as a potential use case.

Neil Casey
Post by Tim Zielke
[...]
List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe
Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the Listserv General Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com
Glenn Baddeley
2013-09-04 23:17:05 UTC
A possible alternative is to run the SupportPac MA0Z channel message logging
exit on the SVRCONN channel. Its logs show MQI calls, MQ structures,
message data, which can be useful for debugging client applications.