Conversion of message data across platforms
Costa, D. (Damian)
2013-11-11 14:47:52 UTC
Hi all,
Having a bit of a 'mare here. I'm placing a message on a MVS queue using the MQMON app from my laptop. I expected it to be in EBCDIC format on the MVS queue even though the MQMON gui is placing ASCII data on the queue I expected it to be converted at some point. The Encoding for this message is 546 and CodedCharSetId 437 on the MVS queue. But when I view the message on the MVS queue using the browser on MVS it shows in ASCII format i.e. looks garbled. Looks to be ASCII from the MQMON GUI though....

This then triggers an app to generate a message destined for an AIX box. It's a sizeable message 400k in size which is sent over to an AIX box. There is no convert specified in the sdr/rcvr channel pair.
The message looks like it's in EBCDIC on the queue as no convert was specified on the channel. When I try to view the message using MQMON with convert specified it still presents in EBCDIC. The encoding still says 546 and CCSID 437. Shouldn't this change when traversing different Platforms?

No amount of fiddling with setting or anything in the MQMON gui will allow me to view the message in ascii format.

I'm stuck and not sure what to try now.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

********************
Nedbank Limited Reg No 1951/000009/06. The following link displays
the names of the Nedbank Board of Directors and Company Secretary.
[ http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/DirectorsNedbank.htm ]
This email is confidential and is intended for the addressee only.
The following link will take you to Nedbank's legal notice.
[ http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/EmailDisclaimer.htm ]
Paul Clarke
2013-11-11 15:33:13 UTC

Well, I guess the first question is what is in the FORMAT field of the MQMD
of the generated message. If it isn't in something MQ recognises then MQ
won't be able to convert it and it will stay in its original Encoding/CCDID
no matter how you try to browse it.

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul Clarke
www.mqgem.com

Costa, D. (Damian)
2013-11-11 15:52:23 UTC
It's MQSTR.
The weird thing is in the MQMON preview pane I can see the initial part of the message converted into readable ASCII characters.....
Paul Clarke
2013-11-11 16:20:04 UTC
Well...such is the power of MO71 :-)

Seriously though....this probably a feature called 'Predict Hexadecimal
characters'. If this is enabled then MO71 will try to predict whether it is
looking at ASCII or EBCDIC characters based on the hit rate. If you disable
this feature I suspect you will see the gobbledygook you were expecting (or
a line of dots).

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul Clarke
www.mqgem.com
[...]
General
Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com
********************
Glenn Baddeley
2013-11-11 22:30:23 UTC
Post by Costa, D. (Damian)
I expected it to be converted at some point.
If the message is in string format, MQ will attempt to convert it when:
1) An app gets the message and specifies the conversion option
or
2) The message is transported across a channel that has CONVERT(YES) set.

At rest on a queue, the physical message will be stored exactly as it was
originally put, with the CCSID of the put. ie. If you put a message onto a
MVS queue manager from a client ASCII based app, the message will be stored
in ASCII format on MVS. In fact, that's how MQ works on all platforms.

If you browse the message, the presentation of the message depends if the
app requested conversion on the get, and if it subsequently fiddled with the
contents of the message [MO71 :-)], and the character set that the display
terminal uses to show it to you.

HTH, G.

Costa, D. (Damian)
2013-11-12 11:47:38 UTC
HI Paul,
Predict option was enabled while I had the issue so I've subsequently disabled that option and promptly made it worse:
The preview pane no longer shows the ASCII version and the convert option still doesn't want to convert the message.
The developers are looking at me like I'm a dunce in the corner ..... it's really not a good feeling because I sort of agree with them , this should be straight forward.
So,
I went through the message with a fine toothed comb and found deep in amongst the EBCDIC data a string of ascii characters that are from the original request message, string is "AAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD" . Could it be these 19 characters that are causing the gui and mq to turn to goo when trying to convert it?
Paul Clarke
2013-11-12 12:21:31 UTC

Well, it depends what you mean by 'made it worse'. As I said in my note if
you switch off the 'predict hexadecimal characters' I would expect MO71 to
show you gobbledygook since it will not be trying to show EBCDIC characters
on an ASCII terminal which is rarely going to come out well :-) So, anyway
that option merely answer one of you questions which was why does it look
'ok'ish' in MO71.

However, the question as to why the message is not being converted is still
unanswered. As far as I can see you didn't answer my previous question.
What is the FORMAT of the message? ie. what do you see when you use MO71 to
browse the message in the FORMAT field of the message descriptor (MQMD) ?

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul Clarke
www.mqgem.com
Costa, D. (Damian)
2013-11-12 12:31:14 UTC
Format is MQSTR,
I think we've discovered why it's a mess: the CCSID still represents wintel OS 437 and not MVS OS CCSID 500.
Encoding is 546 which is what was originally placed on the request message by me via the GUI. Hence the gui not converting it as it thinks it's already in ASCII format.
Will keep you posted on progress.
Well, it depends what you mean by 'made it worse'. As I said in my note if you
switch off the 'predict hexadecimal characters' I would expect MO71 to show
you gobbledygook since it will not be trying to show EBCDIC characters on an
ASCII terminal which is rarely going to come out well :-) So, anyway that option
merely answer one of you questions which was why does it look 'ok'ish' in
MO71.
However, the question as to why the message is not being converted is still
unanswered. As far as I can see you didn't answer my previous question.
What is the FORMAT of the message? ie. what do you see when you use MO71
to browse the message in the FORMAT field of the message descriptor (MQMD)
?
Cheers,
Paul.
Paul Clarke
www.mqgem.com
[...]
provided in the Listserv General Users Guide available at
http://www.lsoft.com
********************
Costa, D. (Damian)
2013-11-13 08:27:20 UTC
Hi all,
Here's an update.
Turns out the developer was performing the MQ get without the convert option on the request queue. Req msg was a ASCII formatted from a wintel machine. This sort of allowed the header to indicate an ASCII message on the response queue even though an EBCDIC payload was being returned.

Waiting for developer to adjust the MQGet......
Neil Casey
2013-11-13 10:34:23 UTC
Hi Damian,

this is starting to sound like the result of a confused developer.

If the header is indicating ASCII (or something like it) and the payload is actually a flavour of EBCDIC, then the code which writes the message must be doing something funky.

It sounds like your developer (of the PUT application) knows the queue manager is on zOS, and so is creating the payload in EBCDIC. But he doesn’t quite get that MQ knows about distinctions between Client and Server, and so doesn’t explicitly set the CCSID. So, he has produced an EBCDIC payload with ASCII (default windows) CCSID. If this is the case, then no matter what your GET application does, the received message text will not be readable.

Regards,

Neil
--
Neil Casey
Senior Consultant | Syntegrity Solutions

+61 414 615 334 neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org
Syntegrity Solutions Pty Ltd | Level 23 | 40 City Road | Southgate | VIC 3006
Analyse >> Integrate >> Secure >> Educate
Bruce Lerner
2013-11-13 16:38:52 UTC
Problem determination will be a bit easier if you use a platform-specific
utility to view messages in a queue. z/OS WMQ comes with utility CSQUTIL or
the ISPF MQBRO panel (with HEX ON).