Queue auto expire settings
Firoz Kotta
2013-09-21 13:03:46 UTC
Maybe there had been a discussion on this already and I missed it.

I have a development queue manager with thousands of queues. For one reason
or the other, a huge majority of these queues were never deleted. I wonder
whether IBM could add a configurable setting to the queue properties so
that a queue could get deleted after a preset interval.

I haven't considered opening a RFE. Just want to run this by the experts
here to see what you all think about this feature.

I do understand that stats can always be analyzed and action be taken based
on the data presented.

Scenario : A development queue manager may share resources amongst several
development teams. A set of queues gets created for this team. Dev team may
never run a cleanup job as they may be short on time during the release
efforts. A configurable property on the queue setting could automatically
delete the queues being used by the team, say after 6 months.

Best regards,

Firoz Kotta
(Cell) 732.470.9049
(Email) firoz.kotta-***@public.gmane.org
(vcard) http://firozkotta.businesscard2.com/

Dominique Courtois
2013-09-21 14:02:58 UTC
Hi Firoz,
I remember (long ago) this was a typical case in the training course I used
to give.

The suggestion, as far as I remember, was to send a MQCMD_INQUIRE_Q PCF
command with a generic queue name. Then use the RetentionInterval and the
CreationDate of the returns against the current date to decide on queue
deletion with the MQCMD_DELETE_Q PCF command.

Help this can be useful.

Maybe the sample programs about PCF commands can be good starting points.

Regards

Dominique

Tim Zielke
2013-09-21 15:41:16 UTC
One option could be to require the developers to use a prefix like TEMP.2013.*

Then it would be trivial some time later in 2014 to delete the 2013 queues.

Tim

(Email) firoz.kotta-***@public.gmane.org<mailto:firoz.kotta-***@public.gmane.org>
(vcard) http://firozkotta.businesscard2.com/

________________________________

Firoz Kotta
2013-09-21 16:53:29 UTC
Hi Dominique,

That sounds like a very good idea. I also had overlooked the RETINTVL
setting on the queue while I had send this email.
Currently the value is set to the defaults on this setting. We had never
bothered changing it.

Peter D
2013-09-21 17:07:15 UTC
Infrared360 does this ... Common function in many companies, especially dev & qa groups.
Post by Firoz Kotta
[...]
List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe
Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the Listserv General Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com
Barry Lamkin
2013-09-21 17:27:30 UTC
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org,
&nbsp; &nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">Re: Queue auto
expire settings</font>
&nbsp; &nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">MQSeries List
&lt;MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org&gt;</font>
<hr noshade>
especially dev &amp; qa groups. </font>
wrote:<br>
I missed it.<br>
I have a development queue manager with thousands of queues. For one reason
or the other, a huge majority of these queues were never deleted. I wonder
whether IBM could add a configurable setting to the queue properties so
that a queue could get deleted after a preset interval.<br>
by the experts here to see what you all think about this feature.</font>
action be taken based on the data presented.</font>
resources amongst several development teams. A set of queues gets created
for this team. Dev team may never run a cleanup job as they may be short
on time during the release efforts. A configurable property on the queue
setting could automatically delete the queues being used by the team, say
after 6 months.</font>
Best regards,<br>
Firoz Kotta<br>
(Cell) &nbsp; &nbsp;732.470.9049<br>
<hr>
<hr>
</center>
Peter D
2013-09-21 17:36:03 UTC
Of course you guys got a 10+ year head start, so I would hope so in all that time :)

But the devil's always in the details Barry - and omegamon sure has a lot of configuration details. Kinda like one of those jokes about how many admins does it take to screw in a light bulb ;)

Seeya Monday in OH.

/Pete
And so does Omegamon
Paul Clarke
2013-09-21 17:21:50 UTC
For any users of MO71 if you use this method of marking queues to expiry then you can define a simple filter in MO71 to display which queues have expired.
Something along along the lines of....

@qtime:=mqtime(crdate,crtime); @age#:=(_time - @qtime)/3600; @age# >= retintvl

Of course you can set this to filter name, say $expired, so you need only type $expired in the queue list window to see which queues ought to be deleted. This filter will also tell you the age, in hours, of the queue. If you do decide to delete the queues then it is merely a matter of selecting all the displayed queues and pressing ‘delete’.

Cheers,
P.

Paul Clarke
www.mqgem.com

Peter D
2013-09-21 18:14:38 UTC
Nice technique Paul.

IR360 does something similar (in a different way) for the 'auto-delete' averse :))
... They get their list & hit DEL.

... it seems the bigger the company the more averse to auto-anything, which seems odd since they have SO many more objects to manage!

/Pete
Bruce Lerner
2013-09-21 18:50:55 UTC
What if a queue is only used for year-end processing? Six month after
creation, it disappears. What if messages remain in the queue?

We get enough people complaining about MQ losing messages. Next we'll have
to respond to complaints about losing queues?!

Peter D
2013-09-21 19:58:12 UTC
Exactly why some don't do delete by rules. It is a choice and should be used by a diligent admin. As a line in one of my favorite movies says : "with great power comes great responsibility".

Though the original question was aimed towards Non-production Qmgrs.

Of course the real issue is collection of data and reporting on your queues, so that you know their usage. Reviewing these reports (or like IR360 does - let your biz unit review them with you) and see the traffic patterns on your queues ... Constant, weekly, monthly, yearly.

So thank you for the segway, as this is exactly what I'll be presenting at the MQTC on Monday & Tuesday. Hope to see you there!

/Pete
Bruce Lerner
2013-09-21 20:14:07 UTC
Though the original question was aimed towards Non-production Qmgrs."

Yes, indeed, it was. It's been my experience that both bad and good
behaviors practiced in TEST percolate to QA and PROD.

Peter D
2013-09-21 20:22:13 UTC
That can be true - as a former AAU coach I've been heard to repeat that mantra often! Something like 'if you guys practice like bleep, you'll play like bleep'. Yes we did use the bleep word @ times :)

/Pete