End of support for WMQ 7.0.x
Coombs, Lawrence
2013-12-30 14:15:20 UTC
Can anyone fathom a guess as to when WMQ 7.0.x will go out of support?

This message, including any attachments, is the property of Sears Holdings Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries. It is confidential and may contain proprietary or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it without reading the contents. Thank you.

Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)
2013-12-30 14:34:48 UTC
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/websphere/support/lifecycle/

7.0.0 was released on 06-27-2008
On z/OS it went out of support on 09-30-2011.
On mid tier, according the rules at the above link for Policy Type of Enhanced, it should be supported for "a minimum of five full years of standard support from the date the product release was made generally available by IBM, with the option to get support extensions for at least an additional three years following a product's EOS date for an extra charge set by IBM."

7.0.1 was released on 09-25-2009. It's also an Enhanced Policy Type.

"We'll continue to give customers at least 12 months notice prior to an IBM branded product release's EOS date and the availability of support extensions for an extra charge set by IBM. To make planning easier, we endeavor to coordinate most EOS dates to occur on 30 April or 30 September"

So I'll guess no earlier than April 2015 for both 7.0.0 and 7.0.1. That would satisfy the minimum of 5 full years, April or Sept only, 12 months minimum notice.

Of course they could announce any date at any time.

Peter Potkay

Can anyone fathom a guess as to when WMQ 7.0.x will go out of support?
This message, including any attachments, is the property of Sears Holdings Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries. It is confidential and may contain proprietary or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it without reading the contents. Thank you.

________________________________

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.
Barton, Linda
2014-01-06 19:10:42 UTC
If 7.0.1 was GA on 9-25-09, and we have 5 years, I would expect it to go out of service on 9-30-2014, with extended service available until 2017. Am I misreading something?

Linda Barton

2014-01-06 19:33:14 UTC
We get a minimum of 1 year advanced notice, and they try to retire versions in April or September only. Since they haven't announced anything yet, the earliest we should expect is the first April or September after a year from today. So April 2015 is my guess.

But they could announce any date at any time.

Peter Potkay

Barton, Linda
2014-01-06 19:41:03 UTC
I noticed there was not an announcement date on the website and I have not seen anything. I have been holding my breath, just waiting for the hammer to come down.
Thanks!

Linda Barton

d***@public.gmane.org
2014-01-03 16:42:38 UTC
does anyone have any links or PDFs of redbooks or manuals covering Pub / Sub in MQ V7.1 / 7.5?

I can't find the all the "info" I need in the Infocenter, although I am sure it is buried in there somewhere, and Google has not found much either

Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)
2014-01-03 17:22:39 UTC
Derrick,
I thought Chris Frank’s 2 Pub Sub presentations at the 2013 MQ Tech Conference were very good. Roger still has the slide decks up: http://www.mqtechconference.com/sessions.html

Support Pack MP0C: WebSphere MQ V7.5 - Publish/Subscribe Performance Evaluations

I took a quick peek at the “Changes from WebSphere MQ version 7.0.1 to WebSphere MQ version 7.5” section of the WMQ 7.5 InfoCenter and don’t see anything related to Pub Sub, soooooo, you can go to the WMQ 7.0.1 InfoCenter which is still laid out the good ol’ fashioned way, by the manuals we all grew up with. In the 7.0.1 InfoCenter, change your search scope to only show results from the Publish/Subscribe User’s Guide. That way you can search for terms important to you but only get results from the Pub Sub Guide. I also include the MQSC Command Reference in these types of searches because there is sometimes info there not captured anywhere else.

To change your search scope in the Info center:

· Click on the “Scope: All topics” link in the top left of the Info Center

· In the pop up, click New

· Give it a descriptive name, like My Pub Sub Search

· Check off only the manuals you want to include, and click OK

· Make sure the one you want is highlighted, and click OK

· Now when you search in the Info Center, it will only show results from the manuals/sections you chose.

Make sure to set the Scope back to All Topics when done, or your next search may return a lot fewer results than you expect.

Peter Potkay

2014-01-03 17:27:34 UTC
If you go to the Info Center for 7.5 and search for PDF.
Open the Installing IBM WebSphere MQ PDF (something like that).

Starting on page 36, there is an excellent write up on Pub/Sub for a novice.
I know because I am reading it right now.

2014-01-03 17:35:10 UTC
The IBM Education Center has a few videos on Pub Sub as well:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ieduasst/v1r1m0/topic/com.ibm.iea.wmq_v7/wmq/7.0/Pubsub.html?dmuid=20080728133205879918

The videos are really just some person reading the PDF versions of the presentations at that link, which aren’t half bad.

Peter Potkay

LM Demey (MQ)
2014-01-03 17:02:49 UTC
There is not much new on the PubSub version 7.1/7.5, I think redbook :
sg247583 "WebSphere MQ V7.0 Features and Enhancements" remains valid.

HTH.
Post by d***@public.gmane.org
does anyone have any links or PDFs of redbooks or manuals covering Pub
/ Sub in MQ V7.1 / 7.5?
I can't find the all the "info" I need in the Infocenter, although I
am sure it is buried in there somewhere, and Google has not found much
either
Luc-Michel Demey - Freelance WAS & WMQ Expert
http://www.demey-consulting.fr/ - lmd at demey-consulting dot fr

2014-01-03 18:29:11 UTC
thank you Peter, Lawrence and Luc-Michel... I will look at all the suggestions...

<complaint> the Infocenter is irritating because it gives a high level overview, then a low-level meaning for the parameter settings, but it kind of skips the middle part (the "how to get this result" part) - I know how Pub / Sub works and I know what I want to do, but there's no good examples of the permutations of settings I need to achieve a specific result </complaint>

Le 03/01/2014 17:42, dhornby5-***@public.gmane.org a écrit :

does anyone have any links or PDFs of redbooks or manuals covering Pub / Sub in MQ V7.1 / 7.5?

I can't find the all the "info" I need in the Infocenter, although I am sure it is buried in there somewhere, and Google has not found much either

List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe

Luc-Michel Demey - Freelance WAS & WMQ Expert http://www.demey-consulting.fr/ - lmd at demey-consulting dot fr

David Awerbuch (BLOOMBERG/ 120 PARK)
2014-01-03 19:15:28 UTC
Derek,

I suggest an RFE for the documentation with that exact comment. I am sure many of us will be able to comment on our own references to missing pieces of the documentation for other areas of functionality.

Dave

David Awerbuch -- Systems Architect -- Middleware Engineering
email: ***@bloomberg.net || ==== Bloomberg LP ==== ||
phone: + 1 646 324 2868 || Making Financial ||
WMQ support mq-***@bloomberg.com || Markets Transparent ||
For all Trading Systems application and connectivity issues,
please contact the TSCI 24-hour helpdesk.
- Americas - New York +1+212-318-2000
- Europe - London +44-20-7330-7500
- Asia - Tokyo +81-3-3201-8900
- Singapore +65-6212-1000----- Original Message -----
From: ***@LISTSERV.MEDUNIWIEN.AC.AT
To: ***@LISTSERV.MEDUNIWIEN.AC.AT
At: Jan 3 2014 13:29:33

Le 03/01/2014 17:42, ***@COMCAST.NET a écrit :

does anyone have any links or PDFs of redbooks or manuals covering Pub / Sub in MQ V7.1 / 7.5?

I can't find the all the "info" I need in the Infocenter, although I am sure it is buried in there somewhere, and Google has not found much either
List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe
Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the Listserv General Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com

-- Luc-Michel Demey - Freelance WAS & WMQ Expert http://www.demey-consulting.fr/ - lmd at demey-consulting dot fr
List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe
Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the Listserv General Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com

List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe

<< "Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back into the same box." - Anon >>
Bruce Lerner
2014-01-07 15:34:25 UTC
"End of support" is a reason to upgrade, but should not be the sole reason
to upgrade.

In fact, it would be the last-resort reason I'd offer to management and my
user-community. Why? It demonstrates my lack of understanding of software
management release cycles, my lack of planning skills, and my lack of
leadership.

Surely, improvements in function and reliability are better reasons to upgrade.

Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)
2014-01-07 16:21:20 UTC
More often than not, the software functions just fine, and its reliable. My business does not need all the new whiz bang features. And the only reason reliability comes into question is because the vendor is stopping the release of fix packs to keep up with changes to the O/S. I'll disagree with you Bruce and say that frequently the only reason to upgrade is because the vendor is stopping support.

If MQ 6 was still officially supported and releasing regular fix packs, I think a lot of people would be just fine with the function and reliability it offered. And a lot of those people are off of 6 and onto 7 only because 6 is out of support. I suspect that a mature version with multiple fix packs is going to be more reliable than version x.0.0.0 anyway.

Of course there will be many cases where the new version has new features that you want. But I do think "End of Support" is a common and very valid, sole reason for having to upgrade.

Peter Potkay

Tim Zielke
2014-01-07 17:19:26 UTC
I have found remediating security vulnerabilities to be a strong business driver to keep your MQ software current, as well.

Thanks,
Tim