wintel svr crashes MQ install compromised, options?
Costa, D. (Damian)
2014-02-10 10:29:15 UTC
Hi all, I'm having a lovely day: 3 concurrent production outages, 1 human resource available.
So I tried to open the eclipse viewer on the wintel virtual Production box to see that there are in fact no defined qmgrs on the box.
Which is silly really there was one on Friday and most of the weekend. Until Sunday morning when it turns out the OS has been patched, crashed, had to be repaired and is now not able to perform most MQ tasks.
There is no image of the VM from before the critical OS patch. So my only resort is to attempt a reinstall of MQ. in the reinstall I've have to de-install the MQ version but it prompted me if I wanted to retain the existing qmgr which on balance sounded like a good idea.
The only thing is I now have no idea how to restore that qmgr after I reinstall the MQ version there....
Is there some sort of wizard I can use ? doe the eclipse viewer just pick up that there is a pre existing qmgr there?

********************
Nedbank Limited Reg No 1951/000009/06. The following link displays
the names of the Nedbank Board of Directors and Company Secretary.
[ http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/DirectorsNedbank.htm ]
This email is confidential and is intended for the addressee only.
The following link will take you to Nedbank's legal notice.
[ http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/EmailDisclaimer.htm ]
Meekin, Paul
2014-02-10 10:48:07 UTC
Hi Damian,

Because windows keeps most of its info in the registry when you uninstall MQ it writes this to a file in the MQ data location. If you specify the same location when reinstalling MQ it should pick this up from this file and reinstate the QMgrs.

Check that it's there - it should be a .reg file I think.

Hope you get it back quickly!

Cheers,
Paul

Tim Crossland
2014-02-10 10:45:31 UTC
When you say that you wanted to retain the retain the existing queue manager, do you mean that you want to keep the objects?

If so, have a look at using dmpmqcfg or saveqmgr (depending upon your version of MQ) to save the current queue manager configuration.

You can then restore the objects after the installation.

Regards,

Tim Crossland
Senior Consultant

M: +44 (0)7725 208776
T: +44 (0)207 147 9955

To unsubscribe, write to LISTSERV-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org<mailto:***@LISTSERV.MEDUNIWIEN.AC.AT> and, in the message body (not the subject), write: SIGNOFF MQSERIES Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the Listserv General Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com

Neil Casey
2014-02-10 10:43:24 UTC
Hi Damian,

you shouldn’t have to do anything… the queue manager info should not be deleted when the software is, and will be available after the new software is available.

However, if you can, it would be a really good idea to create either a full VM backup, or else a checkpoint that you can roll back to before changing the current config. That way if you do stuff something up, you can avoid making things any worse. If your OS support had done that before the upgrade, you wouldn’t be in the position you are.

Regards,

Neil Casey
Syntegrity Solutions.
Costa, D. (Damian)
2014-02-10 11:37:19 UTC
Hi all replying on my original post. The reinstall recovered the pre-existing qmgr on the box no fiddling under the hood required.
Phew! dodged bullet there.
Now onto production incident 3.
Costa, D. (Damian)
2014-02-10 11:48:36 UTC
Yup have requested that they clone the server now and ensure a snapshot is taken before any OS patches are applied in the future.
Unfortunately I couldn't do any sort of backups as the local DCOM Configs were porked. Couldn't run a single binary even though the qmgr was actually starting nothing could connect.
We already had a qmgr defs backup which we take ourselves once a week.
I was just stressing out about resynching all the receivers and senders.
Thank goodness the existing qmgr recovered.
Thanks all for the advice.