Knowledge Center Search by Topic?
Ian Alderson
2014-06-16 11:14:24 UTC
I’ve been withholding sending any negative comments about the new KC until after teething problems were resolved. However since the KC now seems to be stable, I have one big concern with the search facility.

Logging in to KC I had created a collection (“MQ 7.0 Systems Admin” as a test). However when I try to search, I don’t see a way of limiting the search to this one collection, instead getting results from the entire product set. If I try to limit a search by platform on the filter (e.g. Linux) I still get a load of z/OS results. And if I select “Administer the Product” I don’t get any results for basic admin searches. So it appears that I’m able to limit a search by main Product (i.e. specific version of MQ) but not by topic as we’re used to in the old Infocenter. Perhaps that works fine for other software products but for MQ the documentation often needs to be filtered by topic to limit your search results.

If anyone knows of a way to do this, then please let me know.

Thanks,
Ian

Ian Alderson
MQ Technical Architect

[cid:***@c7944d28.43b1309d]

DL 0203 003 3055

________________________________
Ignis Asset Management
Fixed Income | Equities | Real Estate | Advisors | Solutions
150 Cheapside | London | EC2V 6ET

http://www.ignisasset.com
http://twitter.com/IgnisAM
http://www.linkedin.com/companies/ignis-asset-management

The information contained in this email (including any attachments transmitted within it) is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the named person.
The unauthorised access, copying or re-use of the information in it by any other person is strictly forbidden.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by return email to ***@ignisasset.com.

Internet communication is not guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus free. We accept no liability for any harm to systems or data, nor for personal emails. Emails may be recalled, deleted and monitored.

Ignis Asset Management is the trading name of the Ignis Asset Management Limited group of companies which includes the following subsidiaries:
Ignis Asset Management Limited (Registered in Scotland No. SC200801), Ignis Investment Services Limited* (Registered in Scotland No. SC101825)
Ignis Fund Managers Limited* (Registered in Scotland No. SC85610) Scottish Mutual Investment Managers Limited* (Registered in Scotland No. SC88674)
Registered Office: 50 Bothwell Street, Glasgow, G2 6HR, Tel: 0141-222-8000 and Scottish Mutual PEP & ISA Managers Limited* (Registered in England No. 971504)
Registered Office: 1 Wythall Green Way, Wythall, Birmingham B47 6WG and Ignis Investment Management Limited (Registered in England No. 5809046)
Registered Office: 150 Cheapside, London, EC2V 6ET Tel: 020 3003 3000. Scottish Mutual is a registered trade mark of Scottish Mutual Assurance Limited

*Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Ian Alderson
2014-06-16 13:21:34 UTC
I’ve found a similar thread on mqseries.net so it appears that the ability to search by topic has not been ported to Knowledge Center, and the advice is to ask for it back as an “enhancement”. Hmmm.

The thread also helped me find the feedback button which is on the solid grey bar across the bottom of KC, so I have left feedback to that effect, as opposed to a comment specific to a page.

So it appears to me that we now have downgraded search functionality as well as search filters which, for me at least, don’t appear to work as expected. If anyone has a better experience on using search I would be happy to be enlightened. Otherwise if you miss this functionality from Infocenter then I would suggest leaving feedback also.

Thanks,
Ian

Ian Alderson
MQ Technical Architect

[cid:***@6376923a.4d94e380]

DL 0203 003 3055

________________________________

T.Rob
2014-06-16 21:03:28 UTC
Hi Ian,

I'm having issues as well and wondering if the KC is broken or if the behavior I'm seeing is intended. For example, searching on "jndi" returns 20 results of which 4 have exactly the same topic title: "Configuring the JNDI namespace and administered objects." The search results tell you only the book and not the section or topic in which the found content lives. Drilling down into each topic shows the contents but the TOC doesn't sync so there is still no contextual clue as to what section that content lives in.

I'm about to go wipe out cache and cookies and try this again but before pulling out any hair and cursing, wanted to ask if this is the same behavior everyone else sees.

Kind regards,

-- T.Rob

T.Robert Wyatt, Managing partner

IoPT Consulting, LLC

+1 704-443-TROB

https://ioptconsulting.com

https://twitter.com/tdotrob

_____

<http://www.ignisasset.com> http://www.ignisasset.com
<http://twitter.com/IgnisAM> http://twitter.com/IgnisAM
<http://www.linkedin.com/companies/ignis-asset-management> http://www.linkedin.com/companies/ignis-asset-management

If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by return email to postmaster-ddK+***@public.gmane.org

Neil Casey
2014-06-16 23:00:53 UTC
Hi T.Rob (et al)

partly this seems to be an issue with the v7.5 MQ knowledge centre.

I have checked v7.0.1,v7.1 and v8.0, and they correctly sync the TOC to the viewed page, so context is available.

Regards,

Neil
--
Neil Casey
Senior Consultant | Syntegrity Solutions

+61 414 615 334 neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org
Syntegrity Solutions Pty Ltd | Level 23 | 40 City Road | Southgate | VIC 3006
Analyse >> Integrate >> Secure >> Educate
Post by T.Rob
Hi Ian,
I'm having issues as well and wondering if the KC is broken or if the behavior I'm seeing is intended. For example, searching on "jndi" returns 20 results of which 4 have exactly the same topic title: "Configuring the JNDI namespace and administered objects." The search results tell you only the book and not the section or topic in which the found content lives. Drilling down into each topic shows the contents but the TOC doesn't sync so there is still no contextual clue as to what section that content lives in.
I'm about to go wipe out cache and cookies and try this again but before pulling out any hair and cursing, wanted to ask if this is the same behavior everyone else sees.
<image002.png>
<image003.png>
Ian Alderson
2014-06-17 08:22:42 UTC
I tested the same, and it appears to me that this is just something specific from the search results from “jndi” with MQ 7.5. When I search for other terms in the 7.5 product I do get the TOC showing correctly.

Searching for admin type keywords like “define”, “crtmqm” I get TOC displaying okay. Trying API keywords (e.g. MQGET) I again get TOC okay. When I try just java related keywords like “jndi”, “jms” or “java” I don’t get the TOC. So it seems like there might be a problem with the TOC for at least the java part of the 7.5 KC?

But even for the parts where the TOC is displaying correctly after selection, it would certainly be helpful to have filtered out those results you’re not interested in first.

Ian

Ian Alderson
MQ Technical Architect

[cid:***@752d7b7a.4d8de80d]

DL 0203 003 3055

________________________________
Ignis Asset Management
Fixed Income | Equities | Real Estate | Advisors | Solutions
150 Cheapside | London | EC2V 6ET

http://www.ignisasset.com
http://twitter.com/IgnisAM
http://www.linkedin.com/companies/ignis-asset-management

partly this seems to be an issue with the v7.5 MQ knowledge centre.

I have checked v7.0.1,v7.1 and v8.0, and they correctly sync the TOC to the viewed page, so context is available.

Regards,

Neil
--
Neil Casey
Senior Consultant | Syntegrity Solutions

[cid:***@01CF8A0B.39EB29A0] +61 414 615 334<tel:+61%20414%20615%20334>[cid:***@01CF8A0B.39EB29A0] ***@syntegrity.com.au <mailto:***@syntegrity.com.au>
Syntegrity Solutions Pty Ltd<http://www.syntegrity.com.au/> | Level 23 | 40 City Road | Southgate | VIC 3006
Analyse >> Integrate >> Secure >> Educate

[cid:***@01CF8A0B.39EB29A0]

https://ioptconsulting.com<https://ioptconsulting.com/>
https://twitter.com/tdotrob

If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by return email to ***@ignisasset.com<mailto:***@ignisasset.com>.

T.Rob
2014-06-17 11:23:06 UTC
OK, that's helpful at least. The only things I was searching on yesterday were Java-related so it's not limited to just my browser (Firefox running NoScript and set to delete cookies and cache on exit).

Removing the "Sync TOC" button from the UI in the first release implies an underlying assumption that functionality replacing it will work at or near 100% and a policy to fix any broken section or page with a high priority. Both of those assumptions are overly optimistic but I'll report issues and encourage my client to report theirs as well.

Thanks Ian and Neil for the responses.

Kind regards,

-- T.Rob

+61 414 615 334 <tel:+61%20414%20615%20334> <mailto:neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org> neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org