Planning to upgrade servers running multi-instance queue managers
Coombs, Lawrence
2014-01-30 02:16:54 UTC
I am looking for any information I can find that would offer some guidance on upgrading a multi-instance queue manager from 7.0.1.8 to 7.5.0.2. My question is if I upgrade the server the active queue manager is running on to 7.5.0.2, can a queue manager running 7.0.1.8 fail over to that server when I get ready to upgrade the 7.0.1.8 server? Or, do you have to upgrade BOTH servers at the same time? The one that is running the active and the other that runs the standby? The Info Center isn't very clear about this.

If anyone has done this and care share I would appreciate it.

This message, including any attachments, is the property of Sears Holdings Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries. It is confidential and may contain proprietary or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it without reading the contents. Thank you.

Neil Casey
2014-01-30 02:36:35 UTC
Hi Lawrence,

I haven’t tried this but I would expect that you could utilise the two machines to perform the upgrade with minimal down time impact, but not actually with using MIQM to fail over.

My upgrade plan would look like this…

1. Shut down secondary QM instance (server 2).
2. Upgrade MQ on the secondary instance (server 2).
3. Shut down the primary MQ instance (server 1). (MQ is now totally DOWN).
4. Back up the queue manager (while MQ is down). Back up everything from both the qmgr and log directories, and also the ini files.
5. Start up the queue manager on server 2 (this will upgrade all the files to v7.5)
6. Upgrade MQ on server 1.
7. Start up a failover instance on server 1.

The down time for this would only be during the backup of the queue manager.

I would test this in a non production environment to be certain that the installation process does not attempt to alter file that belong to the active instance, but my understanding of the process is that it should be fine. If you are really worried, then unmount the shared drive from server 2 before step 2 and mount it again after step 4. Then unmount the shared drive from server 1 before step 6, and mount it again before step 7.

Neil
--
Neil Casey
Senior Consultant | Syntegrity Solutions

+61 414 615 334 neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org
Syntegrity Solutions Pty Ltd | Level 23 | 40 City Road | Southgate | VIC 3006
Analyse >> Integrate >> Secure >> Educate
[...]
List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe
Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the Listserv General Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com
Coombs, Lawrence
2014-01-30 03:14:17 UTC
Thanks for the response.

[...]

[cid:image001.jpg-ra/***@public.gmane.org] +61 414 615 334<tel:+61%20414%20615%20334>[cid:image002.jpg-ra/***@public.gmane.org] neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org <mailto:neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org>
Syntegrity Solutions Pty Ltd<http://www.syntegrity.com.au/> | Level 23 | 40 City Road | Southgate | VIC 3006
Analyse >> Integrate >> Secure >> Educate

[cid:image003.png-ra/***@public.gmane.org]

________________________________

________________________________

Coombs, Lawrence
2014-01-30 13:17:35 UTC
There is a slight twist to my story.

I have two servers, each running an active instance a standby instance. E.g. Server-1 runs MQ1 (active) and server2 runs QM1(standby). Server-2 runs QM2(active) and server-1 runs QM2(standby). I am trying to do without any outage and still have the ability to fall ack. My problem is that I am not sure about failing over a 7.0.1.8 queue manager to a 7.5.0.2 server.

I am assuming that once I failover the 7.0.1.8 queue manager it will get upgraded when it is restarted on the 7.5.0.2.

[cid:image001.jpg-xdUiuQ+***@public.gmane.org] +61 414 615 334<tel:+61%20414%20615%20334>[cid:image002.jpg-xdUiuQ+***@public.gmane.org] neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org <mailto:neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org>

[cid:image003.png-xdUiuQ+***@public.gmane.org]

Coombs, Lawrence
2014-01-30 19:48:26 UTC
It took a while but I found this topic in the WMQ75.Installconfig .pdf file.
Overall steps to migrate a queue manager in a multi-instance queue manager
configuration