MQ Documentation
Ward, Mike S
2014-02-26 21:50:15 UTC
Hello all, I have been looking through the MQ information center for about an hour, and I can't find what I'm looking for. I'm for how a CICS program is triggered via MQ, and what the cics program should do once triggered. I try search for trigger z\OS and CICS, but it seems that all the CICS references are of txseries distributed. Can someone point me in the right direction for z/OS CICS triggered programs?

Thanks in advance. Very frustrating.

==========================
This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this message by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Tim Zielke
2014-02-26 21:54:43 UTC
Hi Mike,

Are you in the MQ 7.5 infocenter? I noticed that it looked like they pulled the z/OS information out of 7.5. We are at 7.1 on z/OS, and I have been using the 7.1 infocenter for z/OS needs.

Thanks,
Tim

Ward, Mike S
2014-02-26 22:02:18 UTC
No, I'm in the V7.1 Infocenter.

Stone, Sandy
2014-02-26 22:22:25 UTC
Check out the 'process' option of the trigger on the queue definition, Mike.
We use 'process' extensively here. The value is a CICS program or transaction which, of course, executes a program. The program would read the queue and perform whatever business function is required.
The 'process' option also has a batch feature, referencing JCL.
hth,

http://www.medmutual.com/
Visit http://www.medmutual.com/
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure by law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from printing, storing, disseminating, distributing or copying this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Neither this information block, the typed name of the sender, nor anything else in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature, unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.
Thank you, Medical Mutual.

Archive: http://listserv.meduniwien.ac.at/archi
Ward, Mike S
2014-02-26 22:45:07 UTC
Thanks, but I'm most interested in programming the trigger program for z/OS CICS. I can't seem to find the information readily in the Infocenter. I have opened an IBM service request asking them to detail the information for me.

Richard Tsujimoto
2014-02-26 22:59:24 UTC
IIRC, there are sample programs (Cobol, PL/1 and BAL) in one of the SMP source libraries.

Ward, Mike S
2014-02-26 23:00:55 UTC
Thanks, I will try looking for them.

Roger Lacroix
2014-02-26 22:09:08 UTC
Hi Mike,

Try this link:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r1/topic/com.ibm.mq.doc/fg13980_.htm

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Ward, Mike S
2014-02-26 22:15:25 UTC
Roger, thanks. I found that section also, but if you look closely it seems to be for distributed systems and not z/OS CICS systems.

Ward, Mike S
2014-02-26 22:17:02 UTC
Ah, I see at the about an initiation queue, what is that how is it read, and how do you set up the CICS program to use it?

Barry Lamkin
2014-02-26 22:53:02 UTC
Hi Mike,

Is there something special you are looking to do with Trigger program beyond start the CICS Program to read the messages from the Queue?

Barry D. Lamkin
Executive IT Specialist
IBM System z Software
Cloud & Smarter Infrastructure
blamkin-r/Jw6+rmf7HQT0dZR+***@public.gmane.org
Office: 617-693-6104
Mobile: 617-510-6072

Ward, Mike S
2014-02-26 22:57:29 UTC
Not really. Just trying to figure out how to set up the process, and what to do after the program is triggered to read the queue. Since there can be several queue's how do I know which one to read? I also haven't figured out what to do after I get the message off the queue. I'm assuming I'm going to call another program to process the request and then possibly another one to write the reply. Sounds simple, but if you don't have a map you get lost.

Is there something special you are looking to do with Trigger program beyond start the CICS Program to read the messages from the Queue?

Barry D. Lamkin
Executive IT Specialist
IBM System z Software
Cloud & Smarter Infrastructure
***@us.ibm.com
Office: 617-693-6104
Mobile: 617-510-6072

John Harris
2014-02-26 23:52:27 UTC

</center>
Barry Lamkin
2014-02-27 01:40:46 UTC
Hi Mike,

You are getting away from MQ Systems Programming and into the Application
Programming area.  There are a number of ways to set the CICS program to
read from  the specified queue.  The simplest example is to hard code the
Queue to be read from in the program.  Take a look at this.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/topic/com.ibm.mq.csqzal.doc/fg18105_.htm

Barry D. Lamkin
Executive IT Specialist
IBM System z Software
Cloud & Smarter Infrastructure
ITIL Foundation Certified
SWAN
zChampion

178 Old Oaken Bucket Road
Norwell, MA 02061

email: blamkin-r/Jw6+rmf7HQT0dZR+***@public.gmane.org
office: 617-693-6104
mobile: 617-510-6072
[IMAGE]

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 26, 2014, at 3:02 PM, "Ward, Mike S" <mward-C+***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

Thanks, I will try looking for them.

IIRC, there are sample programs (Cobol, PL/1 and BAL) in one of the SMP
source libraries.

Check out the 'process' option of the trigger on the queue definition,
Mike.
We use 'process' extensively here. The value is a CICS program or
transaction which, of course, executes a program. The program would read
the queue and perform whatever business function is required.
The 'process' option also has a batch feature, referencing JCL.
hth,
shttp://www.medmutual.com/Visit http://www.medmutual.com/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE:
[...]

prohibited.

to LISTSERV-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org and, in the message body (not the

Coombs, Lawrence
2014-02-27 02:42:47 UTC
If you are triggered I think you can do an EXEC CICS RETRIEVE into the MQTMC structure. You can get the queue name from there.

2014-02-27 02:55:38 UTC
It is either MQTMC or MQTMC2 structure. It's been awhile.

________________________________

Leonard.John.J
2014-02-27 14:10:09 UTC
Mike

You can pick the queue name up dynamically like this

EXEC CICS RETRIEVE
INTO(MQTMC)
END-EXEC.

MQTMC is an MQ control block If you want to contact me off line I will send you a complete example. Things you should think about . Does your program read a message off the queue process the message then read a second message etc. until no more messages ? or Does it read a message off the queue process the message and return control to CICS.

Reason this is important is to do your trigger your CICS transaction on the first message, or on every message; it depends on your application. I think you can also trigger based after x-amount of messages are on the queue but I have never done that .

John J. Leonard
Application Developer SOA Team
Westfield Group
One Park Circle P.O. Box 5001
Westfield Center Ohio 44251-5001
Office (330) 887-8249
Toll Free 1-(800) 243-0210 ext 4308249
Email johnleonard-***@public.gmane.org
Extension 430-8249

[...]

Westfield Group: Sharing Knowledge. Building Trust(R).

This electronic message contains information from a member company of Westfield Group which is privileged, confidential or otherwise the exclusive property of the intended recipient or of Westfield. This information is for the use of the intended recipient only. If you are not the designated recipient, any publication, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us at 1.800.243.0210 or by replying to the sender, then promptly destroy the original message.
Dave Corbett
2014-02-27 14:27:58 UTC
Mike,

We do this all of the time - here is some basic COBOL code - missing half
of the IF statements, but you can get the gist of what we do:

MQM-TRIGGER-MESSAGE is a standard copybook structure that is just part of
the source code delivered from IBM.

EXEC CICS ASSIGN
STARTCODE (WS-STARTCODE)
END-EXEC.

IF WS-STARTCODE = 'SD'
MOVE LENGTH OF MQM-TRIGGER-MESSAGE TO WS-START-LENGTH
EXEC CICS RETRIEVE
INTO (MQM-TRIGGER-MESSAGE)
LENGTH (WS-START-LENGTH)
RESP (CICS-RESP)
END-EXEC

IF (MQM-TRIGGER-MESSAGE(1:4) = 'TMC ') OR
(MQM-TRIGGER-MESSAGE(1:4) = 'TM ')
MOVE MQTMC-USERDATA TO WS-STARTUP-DATA
MOVE MQTMC-QNAME TO WS-STARTUP-QUEUE

Thanks,
David Corbett
IBM Certified Solution Designer - WebSphere MQ V7.0
IBM Certified System Administrator - WebSphere MQ V7.0

From: "Coombs, Lawrence" <Lawrence.Coombs-***@public.gmane.org>
To: MQSERIES-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org,
Date: 02/26/2014 08:56 PM
Sent by: MQSeries List <MQSERIES-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org>

write to LISTSERV-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org and, in the message body (not
[...]

List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe
This message, including any attachments, is the property of Sears Holdings
Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries. It is confidential and may
contain proprietary or legally privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete it without reading the contents. Thank
you.

List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe
This message, including any attachments, is the property of Sears Holdings
Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries. It is confidential and may
contain proprietary or legally privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete it without reading the contents. Thank
you.

List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe

U.S. BANCORP made the following annotations
Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Ward, Mike S
2014-02-27 15:20:50 UTC
I want to thank everyone for their feedback. It is appreciated. IBM responded to my PMR. Here is what they said:

Seems it is documented in the CICS/TS 4.1 InfoCentre instead
.
You should find more info there.
.
Start from this link:

The CICS-WebSphere MQ trigger monitor
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cicsts/v4r1/topic/com.ibm.cics.ts.wmq.adapter.doc/topics/fg13960_.html

I want to thank everyone for the support.

Mike

==========================

Lyn Elkins
2014-02-27 15:23:53 UTC
Yes the development lab elected to remove the z/OS information from the 7.5
InfoCenter. It means that anyone in an environment that uses current
versions of both distributed and z/OS queue manager has to have both
InfoCenters. Please protest to them. It was requested this be changed when
V7.5 came out by some of us with a z focus, to no avail.

Neil Casey
2014-02-27 21:06:46 UTC
Hi Lyn

It’s true that zOS details aren’t in the MQ 7.5 Info Center, but isn’t that because MQ 7.5 is not available on the mainframe?

If you put the zOS info in the 7.5 manuals, then users would be expecting that the 7.5 feature set would operate on zOS.

Since this is not the case, and zOS version is 7.1, it seems appropriate to me to continue to document the zOS information in the 7.1 info centre.

Regards,

Neil

--
Neil Casey
Senior Consultant | Syntegrity Solutions

+61 414 615 334 neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org
Syntegrity Solutions Pty Ltd | Level 23 | 40 City Road | Southgate | VIC 3006
Analyse >> Integrate >> Secure >> Educate

Glenn Baddeley
2014-03-02 22:33:44 UTC
FWIW, there was recently a dialog about CICS MQ triggering on

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?
id=b779bc89-5116-4183-a330-f83637525595&ps=25
(aka ibm.software.websphere.mq newsgroup)

Cheers,
Glenn.

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 22:17:02 +0000, Ward, Mike S <mward-C+***@public.gmane.org>
wrote:

>Ah, I see at the about an initiation queue, what is that how is it read, and
how do you set up the CICS program to use it?

Behalf Of Roger Lacroix

Bruce Lerner
2014-03-03 15:14:15 UTC
404 page not found

T.Rob
2014-03-03 15:19:26 UTC
I'm getting all versions of the Infocenter from 6.0 to 7.5 this morning.

Kind regards,
-- T.Rob

T.Robert Wyatt, Managing partner
IoPT Consulting, LLC
+1 704-443-TROB
https://ioptconsulting.com
https://twitter.com/tdotrob

Jefferson Lowrey
2014-03-03 15:16:53 UTC
The link got broken through line-endings...

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?
id=b779bc89-5116-4183-a330-f83637525595&ps=25

Thank you,

Jeff Lowrey

From: Bruce Lerner <brucelerner-JUB/***@public.gmane.org>
To: MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org,