Is there such a thing as an unmanaged, non-durable subscriber?
T.Rob
2013-11-14 02:38:08 UTC
Hi Peter,
From the link I sent, drill down to MQSD, the subscription descriptor, then
to the Options field within that
(http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r5/topic/com.ibm.mq.ref.dev.doc/q
100080_.htm ) and you find the durability options.

I guess I never found the docs deficient because they act like I expect they
should. Durable/non-durable are part of the JMS specification and
managed/unmanaged is part of the WMQ provider-specific implementation. The
durable/non-durable behaves as per the spec and won't change. Whether a sub
is "managed" or not just determines whether the QMgr manages the queue or a
pre-defined queue is used. That's true regardless of what kind of
subscription is used and that behavior won't change. The two are completely
different things. I would agree the docs could be better but I wouldn't
worry about them changing their behavior. One is bound by the JMS spec and
the other is bound by IBM's definition of "managed subscription." Although
they intersect, they are independent of each other.

As for the other, because an administrative subscription *must* exist absent
of an attached process, it *must* be durable. A non-durable admin
subscription would vanish the moment it was created. But this has no
bearing on managed/unmanaged, nor should any behavior of those be inferred
from it.

This reminds me of the conversation with Neil during the Redbook residency
when we discussed whether a SDR could talk to a CLUSRCVR. Neither of us had
tried it. In my case it was because I'd always assumed it wouldn't work and
in Neil's it was because he'd always assumed it would. So we tested and
Neil was right.

-- T.Rob

2013-11-14 16:56:23 UTC
Thanks for the back ground info it helps. I guess my question really was is there such a thing as an administratively created non durable subscriber, to which the answer is no.

"This reminds me of the conversation with Neil during the Redbook residency when we discussed whether a SDR could talk to a CLUSRCVR. Neither of us had tried it. In my case it was because I'd always assumed it wouldn't work and in Neil's it was because he'd always assumed it would. So we tested and Neil was right. "
I would have bet money that it wouldn't work, assuming there was some internal check that would have identified the other side of the channel wasn't a cluster sender.

Peter Potkay

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r5/topic/com.ibm.mq.ref.dev.doc/q101930_.htm

[...]

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.