Send AMQERR01 entries to syslog
Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)
2013-11-15 17:44:37 UTC
Is there a way to tell MQ to copy its entries in the AMQERR01 logs over to syslog on Linux?

The reason is that way our enterprise log management tool will capture MQ error entries on Linux with no customization of the log management tool, having it look in different directories on different servers (path varies based on QM name). It's possible but extra work to get the log tool to do this.

On Windows MQ copies to Event Viewer and so we see our MQ entries by default for the Windows servers in the tool, because it captures all of Event Viewer by default.
For WMB on Linux we get the entries by default because WMB sends to syslog and IBM provides instructions on how to tell WMB to copy its messages to a log of your coice if you want that.

Is there a way to get MQ on Linux to copy error log entries to the syslog?

Peter Potkay

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.
Tim Zielke
2013-11-15 20:12:55 UTC
Hi Peter,

I don't know if MQ allows you to configure it to write AMQERR01 log entries directly to the syslog on Linux.

However, one option is to do this outside of MQ with the logger command which allows you to write entries to the syslog from a shell script. For example, you could write a script that leverages the MO06 supportpac to parse the relevant pieces that you want logged from the AMQERR01 file and then put that into the syslog with the logger command.

Thanks,
Tim

Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)
2013-11-18 00:43:00 UTC
Thanks Tim. I was hoping for some secret variable we could set in mqm's profile or the qm.ini file - a one liner done one time at MQ install time.

If we have to do something outside of MQ we might as well just go with the logging tool's methods of watching "application" logs.

Peter Potkay