GSE Websphere Technical Conference (Europe)
Pere Guerrero Olmedo
2013-12-19 14:10:28 UTC

Anybody (specially from IBM) could confirm me if this year is planned any kind of Websphere (obviously with MQ) Technical Conference in Europe?

Thanks guys.
Pere

________________________________

AVISO DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD.
Este correo y la informaci?n contenida o adjunta al mismo es privada y confidencial y va dirigida exclusivamente a su destinatario. everis informa a quien pueda haber recibido este correo por error que contiene informaci?n confidencial cuyo uso, copia, reproducci?n o distribuci?n est? expresamente prohibida. Si no es Vd. el destinatario del mismo y recibe este correo por error, le rogamos lo ponga en conocimiento del emisor y proceda a su eliminaci?n sin copiarlo, imprimirlo o utilizarlo de ning?n modo.

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING.
This message and the information contained in or attached to it are private and confidential and intended exclusively for the addressee. everis informs to whom it may receive it in error that it contains privileged information and its use, copy, reproduction or distribution is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient of this E-mail, please notify the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or redistribute any portion of this E-mail.

Dominique Courtois
2013-12-19 15:36:40 UTC
Pere,
did you check these
http://www.mqug.org.uk/
http://www.gse-nordic.org/
Regards
Dominique

Anybody (specially from IBM) could confirm me if this year is planned any kind of Websphere (obviously with MQ) Technical Conference in Europe?

Thanks guys.

Pere

AVISO DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD.
Este correo y la información contenida o adjunta al mismo es privada y confidencial y va dirigida exclusivamente a su destinatario. everis informa a quien pueda haber recibido este correo por error que contiene información confidencial cuyo uso, copia, reproducción o distribución está expresamente prohibida. Si no es Vd. el destinatario del mismo y recibe este correo por error, le rogamos lo ponga en conocimiento del emisor y proceda a su eliminación sin copiarlo, imprimirlo o utilizarlo de ningún modo.

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING.
This message and the information contained in or attached to it are private and confidential and intended exclusively for the addressee. everis informs to whom it may receive it in error that it contains privileged information and its use, copy, reproduction or distribution is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient of this E-mail, please notify the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or redistribute any portion of this E-mail.

List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe

T.Rob
2013-12-19 15:04:01 UTC
Hi Pere,

I'm not sure if you are aware but IBM this year divested much of their
education program and downsized that department. The European WTC was run
out of the IBM EU Education department so I would be very surprised if it
came back this year, or any time soon for that matter. My suggestion would
be to attend IMPACT and/or the Capitalware event which I believe is
scheduled for next October.

IMPACT I'll assume you know about. The Capitalware conference aspires to be
what the old T&M conference used to be – focused on deep technical sessions
and messaging in particular. It succeeded beyond expectations. Many people
I spoke to said it was the best MQ event they'd been to in many years. And
these are people I first met at the T&M many years ago who had a good basis
for comparison.

I pitched sponsorship of that first Capitalware event to many of my
customers and business partners and it was a tough sell. Few wanted to take
a chance on a new and unproven event and early registration numbers didn't
look too promising. But the registration numbers spiked as the date drew
near. We had a really good sized crowd and the vendor area was small enough
to fit in a single ballroom so it was intimate (for a conference) and well
attended. Based on the success, I expect a much larger turnout next year
and many of the business partners I spoke with who were on the fence now
can't wait to sign up. I believe this coming year Roger is either going to
have to turn away sponsors or revise his floor plan for a larger room.

There is a distant 3rd possibility that someone will arrange for technical
training in Europe. I've done conferences there for IBM, GSE and GWC. One
of the issues faced is that border crossing there seems to be more of an
issue than in the US. Apparently even though it is somewhere on the
continent, the location of the conference makes a huge difference as to who
from each country can attend. That makes hosting an event a bit riskier for
the organizer. The approach GWC took was to hold small, week-long seminars
with 3 speakers and to have several of them in various locations. The GSE
event at which I spoke catered to an almost exclusively local crowd. IBM
used to be able to draw widely but not at the scale of IMPACT.

It's a problem I'd like to solve so if anyone does plan an MQ conference to
serve Europe, or for that matter pretty much anywhere else that isn't being
served, and can hold their event in English, I'd try to participate. In the
meantime, I'm submitting abstracts to IMPACT and Capitalware. I'd love to
see you at one of those if you can make it.

-- T.Rob

_____

[...]

Manage Your List Settings
<http://listserv.meduniwien.ac.at/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mqser-l&A=1> -
Unsubscribe
<mailto:LISTSERV-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org?subject=Unsubscribe&BODY=signoff%
20mqseries>

Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the
Listserv General Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com
<http://www.lsoft.com/resources/manuals.asp>

Roger Lacroix
2013-12-19 17:51:47 UTC
All,

> the Capitalware event which I believe is scheduled for next October.

MQTC v2.0.1.4 will be held on September 29th to
October 1st, 2014. I have the exact same 8 rooms
at Kalahari booked for the next conference (5 for
sessions, 2 for breakfast & lunch and 1 large room for the vendor pavilion).

As always, I'll be looking for speakers for MQTC
v2.0.1.4. I'll do the "official" call for
speakers in the beginning of January but you can email me anytime.

The "official" launch (updated web site) of MQTC
v2.0.1.4 will be near the end of January. Note:
If you haven't downloaded the PDFs from the MQTC
v2.0.1.3 sessions then please do so before January.

Since most people appeared to like the slower
pace for the sessions, I'll continue with that
format. The sessions will be 75 minutes (50-55
content & 20-25 minutes for Q&A) and there will
be a 15 minute break after each session. That
gives 70 session slots (all MQ related) over the 3 days.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Pere Guerrero Olmedo
2013-12-20 13:24:54 UTC
Thanks Dominique I will follow both URL's, currently it seems nothing is scheduled.

Regards.
Pere

[...]

List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe

________________________________

Pere Guerrero Olmedo
2013-12-20 13:30:17 UTC
Thanks Roger and T.Rob,

I will keep in mind your suggestions, but it still seems to be quite difficult to convince my boss to fly over the ocean... :)

Regards
Pere

LM Demey (MQ)
2013-12-20 14:14:10 UTC
Hi all,

For a technical conference, I confirm that for most french customers,
moving to the other side of the ocean and more difficult to sell than a
trip to Europe.
Especially if the destination city looks more like casinos rather than
queues ans clusters! (Impact)

The abolition of the European Technical Conference in 2013 was a very
bad signal sent by IBM to European customers:
"- The websphere products have little future, so needless to organize a
conference on it"
"- The europees customers are not large enough to hold a conference in
Europe"
"- If, despite everything, they want to know what happens in the IBM
software, they have to come to IMPACT like everyone else"

Some (me for example) may consider coming to Kalahari (even if it evokes
here the country of the Lion King). Many others, that could make the
trip to Berlin (as in 2011 & 2012) or Barcelona / Vienna / ... will not
go anywhere.

Regards.

Le 20/12/2013 14:30, Pere Guerrero Olmedo a écrit :

> Thanks Roger and T.Rob,
>

> I will keep in mind your suggestions, but it still seems to be quite
> difficult to convince my boss to fly over the ocean... J
>

> Regards
>
> Pere

Luc-Michel Demey - Freelance WAS & WMQ Expert
http://www.demey-consulting.fr/ - lmd at demey-consulting dot fr

T.Rob
2013-12-20 15:22:20 UTC
Yeah, I'm not liking it either. When I was an IBMer, and as a Product
Manager in particular, I was very aware of the need to not appear as if
customers in non-US geos were unimportant or less important and I lobbied
hard for more training around the globe. It may be possible that when I
said "we need to ensure the European conference stays alive" my bosses heard
"T.Rob wants to go to Europe" which squelched my voice. I don't know if
that's true but in any case I didn't get the impression the advice was heard
very far up the food chain.

However, I can assure you there are others still within the WebSphere
organization who feel the same way and continue to work toward reviving an
event in Europe. But because the funding (and resources) previously came
from a different department, some other departmental sponsor first has to
commit to the idea and then at least one funding cycle has to pass before
they have money to make it happen. For an event that big, they also
typically need a year lead time to book the hall. That means it's probably
at least 2 ~ 3 years out, unless there were plans in the works already
during the transition.

My only advice for an IBM customer there is to make your need for local
training known to IBM. Bug your rep, your lab advocate if you have one,
your IBM exec. If you are not attending IMPACT, email or call them and let
them know that and why. In the meantime, as I mentioned earlier, I'm ready
to support non-IBM events there and can think of several other likely
candidates. Roger's event was pulled together on a shoestring and turned
out to be extremely valuable and successful. Any European sponsors want to
give it a shot?

-- T.Rob

Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)
2013-12-20 16:29:14 UTC
"If you are not attending IMPACT, email or call them and let them know that and why."

Too expensive.
Less technical each year.
Much as I like Cirque de Soliel, Drew Carrey, etc, it's a shameful and frivolous expenditure of money by IBM on things like that at what used to be a good educational conference. I wonder how much more affordable the attendance fee would be and/or how many less support staff would get RA'ed if they skipped the Carrie Underwood performance?

Roger, unless you can get Larry the Cable guy to come crack jokes at Longnecks for nothing more than a case of beer, please keep that stuff out of the Capitalware conference to keep it technical and affordable.

Peter Potkay

> [...]

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING.
This message and the information contained in or attached to it are private and confidential and intended exclusively for the addressee. everis informs to whom it may receive it in error that it contains privileged information and its use, copy, reproduction or distribution is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient of this E-mail, please notify the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or redistribute any portion of this E-mail.
________________________________

Luc-Michel Demey - Freelance WAS & WMQ Expert

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.
Peter D
2013-12-20 16:57:58 UTC
Peter

Who needs Larry when we have our own Bobbeeee!

Btw - I used to love that the T&M conference changed venues each year - Atlanta Dallas Orlando SanFran etc.
It helped bring in different regional MQ users too.

/Pete

Roger Lacroix
2013-12-20 17:53:14 UTC

> Roger, unless you can get Larry the Cable guy
to come crack jokes at Longnecks for nothing more
than a case of beer, please keep that stuff out
of the Capitalware conference to keep it technical and affordable.

Actually, last summer I had the bright idea of
getting an Astrophysicist (I thought it would be
cool) but he was unavailable, so they offered me
"2nd tier" scientist for $15,000 plus travel &
hotel. After I picked up my jaw off the floor, I said no thanks.

$15,000 for 1 hour of work for a "2nd tier"
scientist, I am truly in the wrong line of
work. To this day, I'm still baffled. 1 hour == $15,000. Wow!!

So, that's not going to happen and I'll be the
entertainment for the conference. :)

Now just so people know, the vendor sponsorship
fee and the attendee fee will need to increase a
little bit next year. This year the total "all in
cost" for MQTC 2.0.1.3 was $38,900 USD and I
collected (from attendees & vendors) $29,000
USD. Basically, I didn't account for all of the
fixed costs of the conference. I'm not out to
make money doing MQTC, I just want to cover my
costs. Therefore, the vendor fees will go up a
little bit and the attendee early bird fee last
year was $249 and next year it will be either
$299 or $329. It will still be a very cheap conference. :)

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

T.Rob
2013-12-20 15:22:58 UTC
> Any European sponsors want to give it a shot?

MQ Gem, maybe?

Paul Clarke
2013-12-20 20:35:04 UTC
Well, naturally once I’ve made my millions I’d be happy to sponsor a European conference. However, right now I’m a little busy doing other stuff. So, in the near term, perhaps you’d be better to open the European branch of IOPT Consulting.

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul Clarke
www.mqgem.com