MQ RFE: Application Activity Trace - Show start and end time of all MQ API calls to the millisecond
Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)
2014-08-20 12:57:38 UTC
Direct link to cast your vote: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=58147

Title: Application Activity Trace - Show start and end time of all MQ API calls to the millisecond

Include the ability to capture the time as accurately as the local operating system will allow - down to the millisecond ideally.
Rather than display the time in Epoch Time as is currently the case for "High Res Time" in the Application Activity Trace output for the MQPUT call, display the timestamps in human readable format.
Do the math and display the elapsed time for that MQ API call down to the millisecond.
If there would be significant overhead in getting this level of detail added, perhaps make this level of detail only show up if the Application Activity Trace level is set to Medium or High.

Use case: Application Activity Trace is a great way to easily gets tons of useful info to see what's happening. Sometimes we are asked to prove how long that MQOPEN call took, or how long did each MQPUT take. If Application Activity Trace could show us this info down to as accurate as the O/S allows (e.g. millisecond) it would be a big help.

Private Business justification: We need more tools in the never ending battle of proving it's not MQ. If we can easily show the app area how fast MQ actual was, we can shift the focus of the investigation away from MQ. Less PMRs for IBM!

Peter Potkay
This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.
Tim Zielke
2014-08-20 13:15:22 UTC
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the RFE on this topic. I did vote for it, and also added a comment that the timings be at the microsecond level. I am pretty sure MQ can get to that level of timing detail on the distributed platforms, at least on the ones that we use.

Also, you may want to check out the mqapitrcstats tool in the MH06 supportpac -> http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24036430

The maqpitrcstats tool was written for this use case, and leverages standard MQ tracing (i.e. strmqtrc) to get at these microsecond timings. Using MQ tracing and mqapitrcstats would be appropriate for ruling out MQ as the culprit for a reported gross application performance issue where MQ has been allegedly implicated :-).

Thanks,
Tim