Note on 7.5.0.2 Installations with Distributed MQ
Tim Zielke
2013-11-15 13:48:25 UTC
Hello,

Maybe no one else would make this mistake, but I wanted to mention it since I almost did. We are in the process of moving to distributed MQ 7.5. We have Linux x86, Solaris SPARC, and Windows. I started with the base from Passport Advantage which is 7.5.0.2. I then got the latest fix pack which is 7.5.0.2. I put the base 7.5.0.2 on our Solaris Sandbox server and then put the 7.5.0.2 fixpack on top of it. All of this worked. Then as I was going back and reviewing the MQ 7.5 manual for installations, I noticed this in the "WebSphere MQ and MQSeries Product README" document:

Installing fix pack on top of installation image at same V.R.M.F level
It is possible to install the 7.5.0.2 fix pack on top of an installation performed
from installation media that was built at 7.5.0.2 (a manufacturing refresh
image) on both Linux (all architectures) and Solaris (both architectures) platforms.

This should not be attempted, as it may leave the system's package management database in
an inconsistent state with respect to the installation of WebSphere MQ.

I opened a ticket with IBM and confirmed that I should only be applying the base 7.5.0.2 and NOT putting the 7.5.0.2 fixpack on top of the base, even though Solaris did allow it. It looks like I was able to uninstall both the base and fixpack on my Solaris sandbox and then just install the base 7.5.0.2.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass that along in case anyone else was going down that wrong path with 7.5.0.2 installations on Solaris or Linux.

Thanks,
Tim