MQ and .net
Ryan Finnesey
2013-12-13 20:32:10 UTC
I understand there are two different ways for a .net application to interact with MQ messages. Does anyone know where I can find information comparing the two?

Cheers
Ryan

Sent from my iPad
Roger Lacroix
2013-12-13 20:43:31 UTC
Hi Ryan,

Yes. .NET 'managed' and 'non-managed' modes.

- .NET managed mode is kind of similar to MQ based Java/JMS (you only
need the amqmdnet.dll).
- .NET non-managed mode is the same as running a native MQ application.

Here is the link to the Using .NET:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r5/topic/com.ibm.mq.dev.doc/q029250_.htm

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Ryan Finnesey
2013-12-13 21:11:17 UTC
Thank you

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________

Ryan Finnesey
2013-12-15 16:34:13 UTC
Am I correct that with both .Net managed and non-managed modes I still require the MQ Client installed?

Would be a much better solution for us if a client install was not required

Sent from my iPad

Shashikanth R Thambrahalli
2013-12-16 05:40:58 UTC
Yes, MQ Client installation is required. MQ .NET API is bundled as part of
MQ Client.

Thanks and Kind Regards
Shashi

Ryan Finnesey <ryan-hVw9aecJxYd+cjeuK/***@public.gmane.org>
Sent by: MQSeries List <MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org>
15-12-2013 PM 10:04
Please respond to
MQSeries List <MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org>

MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org
cc

Subject
Re: MQ and .net

Roger Lacroix
2013-12-16 05:36:31 UTC

If you want support then you need to install the client.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Ryan Finnesey
2013-12-16 17:41:18 UTC
Thank you I have a follow up question.... I will be getting messages off of a remote queue and then putting them on a Azure Service Bus queue. If I do not want the message deleted from the remote queue until it is committed to the Azure Service Bus would I have to use the transactional client?

Cheers
Ryan

Roger Lacroix
2013-12-16 18:19:04 UTC

First, if you are designing a complex solution that involves MQ, you
should either (1) get some MQ training ASAP or (2) hire a good MQ
consultant (i.e. T.Rob Wyatt).

Secondly, there are 2 types of Unit of Work (UOW) that can be done
with MQ: single phase and 2 phase. To do 2 phase UOW, you will need
an external resource manager and this is typically done when an
application wants to get a message from MQ and then update a
database. In this case, the database is the external resource
manager. You can do single phase UOW with MQ and Azure Service Bus
but your application will be the 'master of its domain' (so to speak).

i.e. Single phase UOW is done using the MQGMO_SYNCPOINT option

MQQueueManager _qMgr = null;
MQQueue _queue = null;
MQGetMessageOptions gmo = new MQGetMessageOptions();
gmo.Options = MQC.MQOO_FAIL_IF_QUIESCING + MQC.MQGMO_NO_WAIT +
MQC.MQGMO_SYNCPOINT;
try
{
_qMgr = new MQQueueManager(queueManagerName, properties);
_queue = _qMgr.AccessQueue(queueName, MQC.MQOO_INPUT_AS_Q_DEF +
MQC.MQOO_FAIL_IF_QUIESCING);
MQMessage mqMsg = new MQMessage();
mqQueue.Get(mqMsg, gmo);
/*
* Now do your stuff with Azure Service Bus
* when done, commit the MQ message.
*/
_qMgr.Commit();
}
finally
{
/* Something bad happened, backout the get. */
if (_qMgr != null)
_qMgr.Backout();

if (_queue != null)
_queue.Close();
if (_qMgr != null)
_qMgr.Disconnect();
}

Note: Do NOT use this code 'as is', because connecting and opening a
queue should be done once and not done over and over again in a loop
(plus it does not catch any exceptions).

Also, for ALL of your MQ API calls, make sure that you use the
*_FAIL_IF_QUIESCING option.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Ryan Finnesey
2013-12-17 04:29:27 UTC
Hi Roger

I completely agree I hoped to meet with T.Rob last week when he was in NYC but my calendar was a bit crazy.

My goal at this point is very high level design. Wanted to determine if Client was the right solution or if it is better for us to deploy Server and best ways to integrate things into our completely .net environment.

Cheers
Ryan

To unsubscribe, write to LISTSERV-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org<mailto:***@LISTSERV.MEDUNIWIEN.AC.AT> and, in the message body (not the subject), write: SIGNOFF MQSERIES Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the Listserv General Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com<http://www.lsoft.com/>