MQ 7.5 installed setmqinst run, any reason to also use setmqenv at this time?
Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)
2013-08-14 14:39:05 UTC
RHEL 6.3
MQ 7.5.0.2 installed into /opt/mqm
As root the setmqinst command was run: /opt/mqm/bin/setmqinst -i -p /opt/mqm

1. Is there any reason to run setmqenv at this time?
2. Do we need to modify the profile file for the mqm ID to run the setmqenv command?
3. WMB 8.0.0.2 will be installed soon. Will the profile file for the user ID that runs the broker need setmqenv added?

I think since we only have one install, and its in the default location, AND its set up to be the primary installation, there is no benefit in using setmqenv at this time, so the answer to the previous 3 questions is no, correct?

Peter Potkay

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.
Tim Zielke
2013-08-14 20:39:10 UTC
Hi Peter,

We set up our distributed 7.1 queue managers (Linux x86 on SLES 11 and Red Hat 5, Solaris 10 Sparc, Windows) just like you have done below, and we did not need to run setmqenv for the queue manager or any of the applications that use MQ to work on these servers. So I would concur the answer is no for questions 1 and 2. We do not use WMB, so can not answer the third one.

I personally found the setmqenv documentation somewhat cryptic. They probably have to keep it somewhat vague, since the way most of these distributed environments resolve finding executables, dynamically locate shared object files, etc. is somewhat convoluted, in my opinion.

Thanks,
Tim Zielke
CICS/MQ Systems Programmer
Aon Hewitt

________________________________

Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)
2013-08-15 13:02:40 UTC
Yeah, there is a lot of info out there on these 2 commands, but I never came across documentation that explains the relationship these 2 commands have to each other. There is a little overlap between the 2 commands in my mind.

Even if we end up with multiple installs in the future, if you use setmqinst to make one of those the primary install, and all you want to use at any one time is the version the MQ Admin says is the primary install, then still no need for setmqenv? In this multi version scenario I think that setmqenv could be used to choose to run your app against a version that the MQ Admin did not identify as the primary install?

I'm trying to make the analogy to the mqsiprofile command that WMB uses. That product allows multiple installs and only offers one command (mqsiprofile) to determine what version to run on. Not quite clear on why we need BOTH setmqinst and setmqenv.

Peter Potkay

Tim Zielke
2013-08-15 13:32:34 UTC
I would agree with everything you said.

This is how I understand it for Linux.

Running a command like "/opt/mqm/bin/setmqinst -i -p /opt/mqm" sets the symbolic links in /usr/bin so that MQ programs (i.e. strmqm, amqzmgr0, etc.) will be found in /opt/mqm for any program using the default PATH (since /usr/bin is included in the default PATH). Now any Joe user or application that needs to use MQ will find the necessary MQ programs in /opt/mqm.

If you then install another installation in /opt/mqm1 and leave /opt/mqm as the primary installation, another person can come along and run setmqenv to /opt/mqm1. This causes (for that shell or script that executed the setmqenv command for /opt/mqm1) the PATH to be altered so that /opt/mqm1 is in front of /usr/bin, and then MQ programs are picked up from /opt/mqm1, instead of /opt/mqm.

So I see setmqenv as more of a tool to use when you want to run against a secondary installation that is different than the primary installation. At least, that is how we would primarily use setmqenv in our shop.

Thanks,
Tim

Meekin, Paul
2013-08-15 13:43:11 UTC
Agree with all of that. Just to add my interpretation of what IBM have done is to allow the use of multiple MQ installations but to make them as transparent as possible in use. So if you don't want to use multi-installs you just install to /opt/mqm as usual and (after making it the primary installation) that's it, just like before.

It's only if you want to use the new multi-install feature that means running extra commands each time.

David McCann
2013-08-16 07:16:31 UTC
As discussed, making an installation primary using setmqinst puts symlinks in global locations so that any user on the machine can immediately use that MQ installation. This makes it easy to work in an environment where there is only one installation.

As soon as you have multiple installations, only one can be primary. How then do you easily work with any others on the machine? That's where setmqenv comes in. It attempts to set up the environment in a similar way to how it would appear if it were primary, but with only the current environment affected. The use of setmqenv is certainly not required, but it can make the use of a non-primary installation simpler - it sets things like PATH, CLASSPATH, MANPATH and optionally LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which are directly used by applications, but also informational variables such as MQ_INSTALLATION_PATH, and MQ_DATA_PATH that can help to know which installation you're using.

Regards,
David McCann
WebSphere MQ development

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 13:43:11 +0000
From: paul.meekin-***@public.gmane.org
To: MQSERIES-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org

Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:39 AM

To: MQSERIES-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org

[...]

Manage Your List Settings -

Unsubscribe
Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the Listserv General Users Guide available at
http://www.lsoft.com

List Archive -
[...]

List Archive -
Manage Your List Settings -

Unsubscribe
Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the Listserv General Users Guide available at
http://www.lsoft.com

List Archive -
Manage Your List Settings -
Unsubscribe