MO71 lives on
Paul Clarke
2013-08-07 17:34:07 UTC
I am pleased to announce that IBM has now agreed to let me continue to support and enhance the MO71 SupportPac. Within the next few weeks I hope to have the latest version of MO71 on the MQGem Website (www.mqgem.com). If any users of MO71 have unresolved defects in the current version then please send me an email to support-PvZknbXPofNfmgfxC/sS/***@public.gmane.org

Now is also a good time to be making feature requests for the following version. I am always interested to hear your suggestions.

My apologies for any concern caused by the delay in getting this agreed.

Regards,

Paul.

Paul Clarke
www.mqgem.com

T.Rob
2013-08-07 19:15:10 UTC
And cheers were heard throughout the land!

Paul, that's the best news I've heard in a long time. Congratulations Paul,
and thanks IBM for resolving the issues and clearing the path.

Not to press my luck too far but. any word on MO72? MA01?

-- T.Rob

I am pleased to announce that IBM has now agreed to let me continue to
support and enhance the MO71 SupportPac. Within the next few weeks I hope to
have the latest version of MO71 on the MQGem Website (www.mqgem.com). If any
users of MO71 have unresolved defects in the current version then please
send me an email to support-PvZknbXPofNfmgfxC/sS/***@public.gmane.org

Now is also a good time to be making feature requests for the following
version. I am always interested to hear your suggestions.

My apologies for any concern caused by the delay in getting this agreed.

Regards,

Paul.

Paul Clarke
www.mqgem.com

_____

Manage Your List Settings
<http://listserv.meduniwien.ac.at/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mqser-l&A=1> -
Unsubscribe
<mailto:LISTSERV-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org?subject=Unsubscribe&BODY=signoff%
20mqseries>

Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the
Listserv General Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com
<http://www.lsoft.com/resources/manuals.asp>

Paul Clarke
2013-08-07 19:53:26 UTC
I’m afraid I have had no word on my other SupportPacs (MA01, MO03, MO72 or MA94). Of course, as you know, I have written a new MQSC client program called MQSCX, which I believe is better than MO72 in nearly every way, so I can’t say that I am pushing for MO72 anyway. It would be nice if they gave me back MO03 though

Cheers,
P.

Paul Clarke
www.mqgem.com

Roger Lacroix
2013-08-07 21:36:59 UTC
Hi Paul,

I know a lot of my customers use MO71, so there will be many happy users.

> I have written a new MQSC client program
called MQSCX, which I believe is better than MO72 in nearly every way,

I could be wrong but I think many people who used
MO72, were like me. I used it for CCDT file
creation/modification. MO72 is really two
products in one - I used the CCDT half but never
really used the runmqsc side of it.

create a new product and I will buy it.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Paul Clarke
2013-08-07 22:36:21 UTC
Hi Roger,

I think you are right that many people use MO72 for its ability to modify the CCDT. However, there are many others who use it for its other abilities, certainly judging by the questions I receive. When I said ‘nearly’ it was the CCDT creation/modification aspect that I was referring to. Unfortunately the CCDT table format is not public information and, although I do know the format, I don’t think I can legally include it in one of my products at the moment. Of course, as with all things, it is possible this may change in the future.

MQSCX has many advantages over MO72, not least of which is that there is now someone actively supporting it. Its features are too numerous to mention here but of course it remains to be seen whether it proves popular.

Cheers,
P.

Paul Clarke
www.mqgem.com

Roger Lacroix
2013-08-07 22:54:24 UTC
Hi Paul,

As a developer, I don't have a high need for a
cool MQ Admin tool, that is why I never installed
MO72 on any of my servers, as runmqsc could get the job done.

I've never really understood IBM's position that
CCDT files must be created where the queue
manager is running. It makes no sense. The
queue manager does not need a CCDT file. CCDT
files should be created where they are used - on
the client-side!!! That is why I thought MO72 was a great solution.

People can deploy MO72 on their build server,
create/update their CCDT files and then deploy
the CCDT files along with the application and
other configuration files. That is more logical
than creating CCDT files where the queue manager resides.

IBM should take the MO72 CCDT source code and
create a new tool called runmqccdt or runccdt and
include it with the MQ Client.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Ronald Bower
2013-08-07 23:39:38 UTC
A co-worker of mine wrote mirrorq years ago. I'm not sure what version it
was on. It was supposed to be sample code to show how to use the API
exits. If you can find the source, you can try compiling it and seeing if
it still works. I don't believe it was ever supported.

Good luck.

Sid Young
2013-08-08 00:03:45 UTC
*I've been off MQ for 5 years now.... exits are gone ????

Sid
*

Paul Clarke
2013-08-08 05:59:01 UTC
I don’t agree that CCDT should always be created on the client. We have customers with literally thousands of client machines, do you really think they should be creating and maintaining a CCDT thousands of times ? The notion of creating the file centrally and distributing it has merit. Having said that there are indeed often times where to be able to modify (or even just display) a CCDT on the client machine is very useful. With the demise of MO72 I think that message has finally made it into MQ Development. Anyone interested in this area may do well to join the MQ Beta program.

Regards,
Paul.

Paul Clarke
www.mqgem.com

Dominique Courtois
2013-08-08 07:14:34 UTC
Great news Paul,
Sometimes even intelligence can win.
Regards
Dominique

Meekin, Paul
2013-08-08 09:05:32 UTC
I have to agree with you Roger and it becomes even less sensible to force the CCDT to be created by the QMgr when you want one with connections to multiple QMgrs. I’ve just done a search for an RFE but can’t see one – have you made a request for this?

It’s been a while but I recall the Perl MQ modules had the ability to create CCDTs – reverse engineered the format I suspect.

And to keep on topic, great news Paul – we were starting to get a bit nervous around here!

Cheers,

Capitalware Inc.
Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)
2013-08-08 12:35:33 UTC
One more vote for being able to create / modify / view MQ Client Channel tables without a Queue Manager on the system where you are attempting this. It is the reason I used MO72.

I liken it to the way MQ Explorer has a robust way to create .bindings files that contain QCFs that define how a client can connect to a QM, and you don’t need a local QM on the machine that has MQ Explorer to do this. MQ Client Channel tables should be the same way in MQ Explorer, I say. And/or in some other lightweight separate tool.

Paul, back to MO71, what does this mean from a support perspective? Is your company taking over ownership of the code and support? Or will it remain an IBM Cat 2 Support Pack? Or maybe it becomes a Cat 3?

Peter Potkay

[...]

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.
Paul Clarke
2013-08-08 13:43:15 UTC
Hi Peter,

No one is saying that it isn’t useful to be able to create/modify CCDT files on a client, least of all me. After all it was I who wrote MO72. My point was merely that that wasn’t the *only* way they should be modified. Central administration has a lot of benefits, especially as the number of clients and devices increases.

As for MO71 the intention is that MQGem will indeed be taking ownership of the code and support. It will no longer be a SupportPac but will be obtainable directly from the MQGem website. This greatly simplifies things and means I can make fixes available far faster when necessary.

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul Clarke
www.mqgem.com

Roger Lacroix
2013-08-08 16:23:43 UTC
Hi Paul,

> We have customers with literally thousands of
client machines, do you really think they should
be creating and maintaining a CCDT thousands of times ?

I never said that or implied that and I
definitely would never recommend it. I know of
hundreds of customers who have deployment servers
that are used as the basis for application
deployment to hundreds (or thousands) of
application servers. On the deployment servers,
a user configures all of the files, properties,
etc.. for their applications then push them out
to the application servers. I have been telling
customers for years to install MO72 on their
deployment servers and create their CCDT files
and then deploy them out to their server
farms. This way CCDT files can be application
specific and not one great big mess.

> With the demise of MO72 I think that message
has finally made it into MQ Development.

We can only hope.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Roger Lacroix
2013-08-08 16:28:50 UTC
Hi Paul,

> Central administration has a lot of benefits,
especially as the number of clients and devices increases.

Exactly. Central administration from a
"deployment server" without the server having a queue manager. :)

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Paul Clarke
2013-08-08 16:30:58 UTC
My apologies....when you said

>>CCDT files should be created where they are used - on the client-side!!!

I took that to mean on the client machine.

Anyway, I think we are all in agreement. Sometimes it makes sense to create the CCDT on the server end and sometimes on the client end. Luckily we can do just that and I don’t see that situation changing.

Cheers,
P.

Paul Clarke
www.mqgem.com

Bridgette Beardsley
2013-08-08 22:04:37 UTC
Hi Hatcher!

It is on Capitalware's site.
http://www.capitalware.biz/mq_code_cplusplus.html

Regards,

Bridgette Beardsley

Roger Lacroix
2013-08-08 22:53:29 UTC

Yes, the last release (from 2006) of MirrorQ is on my web site but
that does NOT mean I (or Capitalware) support it. I get asked way
too often for MirrorQ support - I even recently got an email from IBM
Support requesting support (for a customer) for MirrorQ.

MirrorQ is a fine sample API Exit but it is not how I would have done
it. Also, if you are installing MQ in a non-default location because
of multi-installations then MirrorQ will not work.

I would recommend people use the Pub/Sub approach or even better use
the free open source project Message Multiplexer (MMX):
http://www.capitalware.biz/mmx_overview.html

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.