MQ airline industry
Ryan Finnesey
2013-11-15 06:19:53 UTC
Hello All

Can anyone point me in the direction where I would be able to find more information on how MQ Series is being used within the airline industry. I have been told that MQ is the de facto standard and I am in the very early stages of architecting a hosted software offering that will have to receive messages from various airlines and airport systems.

Cheers
Ryan

Bruce Lerner
2013-11-15 15:29:33 UTC
I'd start with Google. Search for 'mqseries+airline industry'.

T.Rob
2013-11-15 15:48:50 UTC
Hi Ryan,

I don't know that you will find much info. Most of it is only available if
you are in the industry or on contract to someone who is, and in either case
under NDA.

It is public knowledge that US Customs and Border Patrol use WMQ. There's a
company in Texas called AvFinity whose products are used by everyone from
private pilots to commercial airlines to file flight plans. I approached
them when I was at IBM for a sit-down. They advertise security as a feature
of their software and it uses WMQ to talk both to them and to the various US
agencies that flights must interact with. I offered to take any concerns
and enhancement requests back to the WMQ product team, but AvFinity never so
much as acknowledged my calls or emails.

I did do some work for an airline back in 2007 and they used WMQ/WMB. They
rode on a network that encompassed thee entire terminal (or possibly
airport). The system populated arrival/departure boards, matched
announcements to assigned gates, handled much of the ramp control, and
supported all the in-terminal businesses. This was the customer who, when I
suggested they secure WMQ, responded that "It's the trusted network. That's
why we call it that." They also had plugged a Wi-Fi router into that
network and secured it with WEP so I didn't think it was particularly
trustworthy.

If you manage to crack this nut, I'd love to collaborate. Happy to sign an
NDA to do so.

-- T.Rob

Jantje .
2013-11-15 16:15:00 UTC
On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 06:19:53 +0000, Ryan Finnesey <ryan-hVw9aecJxYd+cjeuK/***@public.gmane.org>
wrote:

>Hello All
>
>Can anyone point me in the direction where I would be able to find more
information on how MQ Series is being used within the airline industry.

Rumour has it London Heathrow is using WMQ to underpin their Sonic ESB.

Cheers,

Jantje.

AJ Aronoff
2013-11-15 16:18:10 UTC
Hello!

MQ is being used at Atlas Air
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/solutions/pdfs/ODC03088-USEN-00_AtlasAirFinal_BSP_112408.pdf

Best Wishes and Cheers!
A.J. Aronoff
Connectivity Practice Director
Prolifics
Office: 646-201-4943 US
email: aj-***@public.gmane.org
IBM Award Winner for Technical Excellence, BPM, SOA, Portal and Rational

Roger Lacroix
2013-11-15 16:36:09 UTC
Hi Ryan,

Absolutely true (First hand knowledge). NDA - can't name
names. Don't forget about the 3rd party reservation systems. They
use MQ too. Basically, MQ is used front to back in the airline industry.

I STRONGLY suggest that you speak to your management, find some money
in your budget and take T.Rob Wyatt up on his offer because it WILL
be money well spent and it will provide you with a successful project
implementation!!

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Ryan Finnesey
2013-11-15 22:23:56 UTC
>From the research I have been conducting and everyone's helpful responses I am confident that I am going to have to add MQ messaging to the solution. All of the other components of the solution are hosted in Microsoft Azure.

The Azure Service Bus has no direct support for WebSphere MQ but I may be able to use WebSphere MQ custom channels for WCF http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.mq.csqzav.doc/un12025_.htm Where I am still a bit unclear and need to do some more reading is if this solution will still require that I install a WebSphere MQ Server.

I also need to find out a bit more on transport of messages. I see that both SITAs and ARINCs closed networks where used historically and still in use today. But I also read some articles that airlines are also trying to interconnect directly to same costs. Need to find the best solution for them to push messages to queue.

T.Rob
2013-11-16 02:47:36 UTC
The .Net development manager Shashi hangs out on the WebSphere MQ tags of
Stack Overflow. If you have questions, post there and he generally finds
them in a day or two. Not sure if he monitors the list though.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/websphere-mq+.net

And of course, your free version of WMQ server is here...
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/messaging/entry/develop_o
n_websphere_mq_advanced_at_no_charge?lang=en

-- T.Rob