MSL1 package removed after SLES 11.3 upgrade
Tim Zielke
2014-02-13 16:27:19 UTC
FYI - This was the answer I got back for the MSL1 supportpac:

"Thank you for your question regarding SupportPac MSL1. I have spoken with the MQ Strategist and he confirmed this may not work with versions of MQ after 7.0.1.

Please note that this is a category 2 SupportPac, provided in good faith and AS-IS. There is no warranty or further service implied or committed."

Thanks,
Tim

2014-02-13 18:34:25 UTC
Hi Tim,

I've not used that support pac but I can imagine that the support issue is likely to be due to the multi-installation stuff.

In fact I'm re-writing all of our automation scripts at the moment and it really is a major headache! I desperately wish that they had included the dspmqinst command and the "-o installation" option for dspmq in 7.0.1.6 and later as it would make life a lot easier.

The trouble is that if you're using a non-default install location then you need to firstly find where MQ is and then make sure you use the right copy of the commands against each QMgr. So do I get that from the dspmq (MQ 7.1+) command, the /etc/opt/mqm/mqinst.ini file, /var/mqm/mqs.ini or what?

Once I've found the right installation it seems to work by simply using the fully qualified path to the correct installation for the command. But I basically now have to find the Inst path for each QMgr before doing anything with it.

Course I may be wrong about what the problem is!

________________________________
List Archive<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://listserv.meduniwien.ac.at/archives/mqser-l.html&k=wdHsQuqY0Mqq1fNjZGIYnA%3D%3D%0A&r=ci4D8otONlaL2hVZCpx3l04VZWct8XdbLYsnfUNUrTc%3D%0A&m=3VcSE5dOuZHHXawZ7Ya1RzAJsJIOQ8OvFcf51ddUVJQ%3D%0A&s=1d09fce0fc6114a97ee56363602c1c8d6a74f19dc27ee01c094aa3e57c7b2a10> - Manage Your List Settings<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://listserv.meduniwien.ac.at/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1%3Dmqser-l%26A%3D1&k=wdHsQuqY0Mqq1fNjZGIYnA%3D%3D%0A&r=ci4D8otONlaL2hVZCpx3l04VZWct8XdbLYsnfUNUrTc%3D%0A&m=3VcSE5dOuZHHXawZ7Ya1RzAJsJIOQ8OvFcf51ddUVJQ%3D%0A&s=462ff96704ced66859237616aa061109f9d8670eda19e99eba5dbe30c82dbdc3> - Unsubscribe<mailto:LISTSERV-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org?subject=Unsubscribe&BODY=signoff%20mqseries>

Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the Listserv General Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://www.lsoft.com/resources/manuals.asp&k=wdHsQuqY0Mqq1fNjZGIYnA%3D%3D%0A&r=ci4D8otONlaL2hVZCpx3l04VZWct8XdbLYsnfUNUrTc%3D%0A&m=3VcSE5dOuZHHXawZ7Ya1RzAJsJIOQ8OvFcf51ddUVJQ%3D%0A&s=0b1d7b36726eab62c23f054198157eeff42a62d980642cb08bbb4d7f2de2343e>

Tim Zielke
2014-02-14 01:37:10 UTC
Hi Paul,

I was thinking the same thing too about why MSL1 was probably not carried past 7.0.1. Since it is unsupported past 7.0.1, we will be moving to our own start up/shut down scripts for MQ on Linux.

I don't know all your requirements for your automation scripts, but if you are talking about Unix/Linux and automating the starting/stopping of your queue managers, I was thinking the following would work and would be not too hard to script.

1. Use the find command to get a unique list of fully qualified dspmq commands (i.e. /opt/mqm/bin/dspmq)
2. For each unique dspmq command, run it and parse the output to get a list of returned queue managers
3. For each queue manager returned, flip that fully qualified dspmq to either a strmqm or endmqm and run it on that queue manager.

Meekin, Paul
2014-02-14 09:02:51 UTC
Hi Tim,

To be honest I think doing a find each time a script runs is going to be a bit of an overhead. To answer your question I'm more concerned about Unix systems. Ironically Windows is actually pretty straightforward in this case since you can just enumerate through the registry to get a (hopefully) definitive list of installations and file locations, especially since they've now got separate registry keys for MQ 7.0.1 and 7.1+.

I originally thought about using the /etc/opt/mqm/mqinst.ini file as it seems to be the only thing left that has an absolutely fixed location but I recently noticed on one system that it didn't contain my 7.0.1.7 installation which is normally Installation0. So I tried going through /var/mqm/mqs.ini but not all QMgrs have an installation listed. I guess I can assume that these are pre-7.1 and just use the default installation in this case. But parsing an ini file each time is hassle and you still have to match an installation to its path.

So I think what I'm going to do is this:

Check mqinst.ini for a list of 7.1+ installations and then check each one to make sure it still exists - mqinst.ini doesn't seem to get updated when you remove an MQ installation so it can be out of sync.

Once I have a valid 7.1+ installation, run its version of "dspmq -o installation". This will give me the list of QMgrs and critically the Installation path for each which I can then use for whatever automation I'm doing.

As I say, if this option had been added to MQ from the multi-install-compatibile versions 7.0.1.6+ it would avoid a lot of the work. I guess it's too late to get it added in now so that's probably going to be my process until we're all 7.1+ (LOL)

Cheers,

List Archive<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://listserv.meduniwien.ac.at/archives/mqser-l.html&k=wdHsQuqY0Mqq1fNjZGIYnA%3D%3D%0A&r=ci4D8otONlaL2hVZCpx3l04VZWct8XdbLYsnfUNUrTc%3D%0A&m=3VcSE5dOuZHHXawZ7Ya1RzAJsJIOQ8OvFcf51ddUVJQ%3D%0A&s=1d09fce0fc6114a97ee56363602c1c8d6a74f19dc27ee01c094aa3e57c7b2a10> - Manage Your List Settings<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://listserv.meduniwien.ac.at/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1%3Dmqser-l%26A%3D1&k=wdHsQuqY0Mqq1fNjZGIYnA%3D%3D%0A&r=ci4D8otONlaL2hVZCpx3l04VZWct8XdbLYsnfUNUrTc%3D%0A&m=3VcSE5dOuZHHXawZ7Ya1RzAJsJIOQ8OvFcf51ddUVJQ%3D%0A&s=462ff96704ced66859237616aa061109f9d8670eda19e99eba5dbe30c82dbdc3> - Unsubscribe<mailto:LISTSERV-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org?subject=Unsubscribe&BODY=signoff%20mqseries>

List Archive<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://listserv.meduniwien.ac.at/archives/mqser-l.html&k=wdHsQuqY0Mqq1fNjZGIYnA%3D%3D%0A&r=ci4D8otONlaL2hVZCpx3l04VZWct8XdbLYsnfUNUrTc%3D%0A&m=W37IIubl6lxNj8EQ%2Fd1W5hWXWOU4vyQRxqe1PEJPqNM%3D%0A&s=d10190c041481db40526b7ea698a65fcc1091d115cb23a9c5339c97be9521b1b> - Manage Your List Settings<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://listserv.meduniwien.ac.at/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1%3Dmqser-l%26amp%3BA%3D1&k=wdHsQuqY0Mqq1fNjZGIYnA%3D%3D%0A&r=ci4D8otONlaL2hVZCpx3l04VZWct8XdbLYsnfUNUrTc%3D%0A&m=W37IIubl6lxNj8EQ%2Fd1W5hWXWOU4vyQRxqe1PEJPqNM%3D%0A&s=40b41f92dffccc185f3ec80be587f6b5f4d611a7a7b436df25437b782641b2c4> - Unsubscribe<mailto:LISTSERV-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org?subject=Unsubscribe&BODY=signoff%20mqseries>

Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the Listserv General Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://www.lsoft.com/resources/manuals.asp&k=wdHsQuqY0Mqq1fNjZGIYnA%3D%3D%0A&r=ci4D8otONlaL2hVZCpx3l04VZWct8XdbLYsnfUNUrTc%3D%0A&m=W37IIubl6lxNj8EQ%2Fd1W5hWXWOU4vyQRxqe1PEJPqNM%3D%0A&s=580539635b02df2c050213e9be67ff92686264253472c211ee178f586ad5d043>

List Archive<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://listserv.meduniwien.ac.at/archives/mqser-l.html&k=wdHsQuqY0Mqq1fNjZGIYnA%3D%3D%0A&r=ci4D8otONlaL2hVZCpx3l04VZWct8XdbLYsnfUNUrTc%3D%0A&m=W37IIubl6lxNj8EQ%2Fd1W5hWXWOU4vyQRxqe1PEJPqNM%3D%0A&s=d10190c041481db40526b7ea698a65fcc1091d115cb23a9c5339c97be9521b1b> - Manage Your List Settings<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://listserv.meduniwien.ac.at/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1%3Dmqser-l%26A%3D1&k=wdHsQuqY0Mqq1fNjZGIYnA%3D%3D%0A&r=ci4D8otONlaL2hVZCpx3l04VZWct8XdbLYsnfUNUrTc%3D%0A&m=W37IIubl6lxNj8EQ%2Fd1W5hWXWOU4vyQRxqe1PEJPqNM%3D%0A&s=bc3d2c7cc87ac36333e6246d279366427e8c7b4512cfd3ceb93636adada8128e> - Unsubscribe<mailto:LISTSERV-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org?subject=Unsubscribe&BODY=signoff%20mqseries>