MQTT or MQIPT?
XiX
2013-07-23 19:15:26 UTC
an app team approached me today and said they wanted to do a POC that
involved smartphones talking to MQ Pub/Sub with the API being accessed from
Javascript.

They said that they had read about MQTT and thought it would do the job.
However, I told them that MQIPT might be a better fit, but I would install
both products and we could try some things out... if anyone has any
opinions on the best approach, I would love to hear about them...

T.Rob
2013-07-23 21:13:35 UTC
How big do you want to scale this?

MQTT is extremely lightweight. It was designed for SCADA and to make best
use of very expensive Satellite and cell phone data connections. It also
scales to millions of connected devices using the edge appliance and to
relatively smaller (tens or hundreds of thousands of connected devices)
using connection direct to WMQ. In addition, MQTT can use JAAS
authentication so, assuming the connection is TLS, it's OK to pass user ID
and password credentials. No exit required like with WMQ, JAAS
authenticates according to whatever plug-in you have configured. Also, MQTT
has a "Last Will & Testament" feature in which the application upon making a
new connection registers a message to be sent should the connection be lost
other than through graceful disconnect. The lost connection can tell the
back-end app to recycle authentication tokens, reset state for the app or
whatever.

Where you mention MQIPT, I assume you mean regular WMQ client connections,
yes? If so then the app gets richer functionality. MQTT is only pub/sub
but regular client connections get that plus point-to-point, reply-to
addressing, routed addressing, several more classes of service including
full persistence built in, message conversion, etc.

Most of the new development on devices I've heard about has been MQTT and
frameworks like Worklight maximize the investment by allowing the code to
run on a variety of devices at a variety of screen resolutions.

-- T.Rob

an app team approached me today and said they wanted to do a POC that
involved smartphones talking to MQ Pub/Sub with the API being accessed from
Javascript.

They said that they had read about MQTT and thought it would do the job.
However, I told them that MQIPT might be a better fit, but I would install
both products and we could try some things out... if anyone has any opinions
on the best approach, I would love to hear about them...

_____

Manage Your List Settings
<http://listserv.meduniwien.ac.at/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mqser-l&A=1> -
Unsubscribe
<mailto:LISTSERV-0lvw86wZMd9k/bWDasg6f+***@public.gmane.org?subject=Unsubscribe&BODY=signoff%
20mqseries>

Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the
Listserv General Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com
<http://www.lsoft.com/resources/manuals.asp>

George Carey
2013-07-24 04:37:20 UTC
How about connecting a million phones to one device with throughput rates of
13 messages per second for each phone . i.e. 13 million messages per second
throughput for one device and scale up from there!

That's what IBM has with the new MessageSight Appliance. Oh and it has
built-in MQ and Integration Bus connectivity and it is up and running with
that capability in 30 minutes!

Check it out.

http://public.dhe.ibm.com/common/ssi/ecm/en/wsd14115usen/WSD14115USEN.PDF

GTC

Jefferson Lowrey
2013-07-24 07:07:46 UTC
MessageSight is great even if you don't need that number of clients and
that number of transactions. On the other hand, MessageSight does not do
the same things that MQIPT does. It does not act as a proxy for MQ
connections. It exposes MQTT and JMS endpoints to the outside, and can
use MQ on the backside.

I suppose I haven't been paying attention, but I didn't think the regular
MQ API was available from JavaScript?

I'm quite sure you can't use it from any kind of system that doesn't have
MQ installed on it.

So if it is actually meaningful to compare MQTT and MQIPT, it's a very
rare edge case where all endpoints are capable of running the full MQ
client.

Thank you,

Jeff Lowrey

From: George Carey <gcarey-QsOFJut1Ekx+cjeuK/***@public.gmane.org>
To: MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org,
Date: 07/24/2013 05:50 AM
Subject: Re: [MQSERIES] MQTT or MQIPT?
Sent by: MQSeries List <MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org>

Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)
2013-07-24 12:15:21 UTC
Roger,
If you can get a speaker to host a session at MQTC 2013 on the MessageSight appliance I would make attending that session a priority.

Peter Potkay

From: George Carey <gcarey-QsOFJut1Ekx+cjeuK/***@public.gmane.org<mailto:gcarey-QsOFJut1Ekx+cjeuK/***@public.gmane.org>>
To: MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org<mailto:MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80Ties2YCUG/***@public.gmane.orgniwien.ac.at>,
Date: 07/24/2013 05:50 AM
Sent by: MQSeries List <MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org<mailto:MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org>>
________________________________

[...]

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.
Ben Bakowski
2013-07-24 13:38:24 UTC
It's worth mentioning a further advantage of MQTT/MessageSight - and that's
MessageSight's positioning as an edge-of-enterprise appliance. It's been
designed exactly around this sort of use case: so as well as being rapid to
get up and running for a PoC, it's very quick to harden it for a secure
production environment. If this is an important consideration for the app
team, I do recommend that they take a deeper look at MessageSight capabilities.

Finally, in case anyone on this thread is not aware, an MQTT javascript
client is now available through the Paho open source project
[http://www.eclipse.org/paho/].

Roger Lacroix
2013-07-24 16:43:14 UTC
Hi Peter,

I was trying to keep the focus on MQ and have a
session or 2 on MQTT since it is included with
WMQ v7.5 (plus I think MQTT is pretty cool).

I asked the IBM speakers to do 3 unique sessions
twice (6 sessions in total). Mark Taylor of IBM
gave me a list of sessions he could do including
one on MessageSight. I choose the following for Mark to do:

(1) What's New in WebSphere MQ by Mark Taylor
(1) Extending the MQ Explorer by Mark Taylor
(2) WebSphere MQ Disaster Recovery by Mark Taylor
(2) WebSphere MQ Internals, Performance and
Tuning for Distributed Platforms by Mark Taylor

Plus Mark said that he would be a co-speaker for:

(2) WebSphere MQ: Are z/OS and distributed
platforms like oil and water? by Lyn Elkins & Mark Taylor

The number in the brackets is how many times the session will be given.

In my opinion, those sessions listed above are
more important than a session on MessageSight but
lets hear from everyone if they agree.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

d***@public.gmane.org
2013-07-25 01:27:08 UTC
thanks Ben, I will take a look - the ListServer members are super helpful as always!

George Carey
2013-07-25 05:13:08 UTC
FYI, couple of TED talks by MQTT inventors and how it is key to the Internet of things coming to fruition (see second speaker’s talk in particular).

http://mqtt.org/2012/11/mqtt-inventors-speak-at-tedx?goback=%2Egde_76235_member_259942498

GTC