Using DB2 MQ Listener to invoke stored procedures instead of CICS?
Eileen Duchane
2014-09-26 21:03:33 UTC
Has
anybody used the DB2 MQ Listener to invoke stored procedures for messages
arriving on a queue in place of triggering a CICS transaction? Any gotchas?

Somebody is suggesting we look into methods to eliminate CICS usage for
one of our high volume CICS apps to reduce costs. I believe this might be one mechanism they
are thinking we could use.
Eileen Duchane

Lyn Elkins
2014-09-29 15:06:53 UTC
Hi Eileen,

The DB2 provided MQ Listener works just fine to invoke a DB2 stored procedure. There are quite a few customers using it, some of whom have forgotten that it is in use (smile). The gotchas:
1) The biggest one is that it may not actually save you any CPU. This has to be carefully measured. The CICS and MQ interface have enjoyed a a great deal of tuning in recent years. I have seen several instances of 'replacing CICS' costing more, sometimes much more, in CPU over the years, and a few that have been successful.
2) The DB2 SP will use RRS as the transaction manager, I have heard rumors of issues with too many connections to RRS. Some of that may be due to the RRS implementation being ignored (it ain't broke, don't fix it).
3) What language will the DB2 SPs be written in? there are substantial differences in performance/CPU use based on the SP language.
4) Are the CICS transactions performing other services, like reading VSAM files, that may be more difficult to coordinate amongst multiple instances using stored procedures.

I'll be interested in hearing what you uncover!

Lyn

Duchane, Eileen
2014-10-08 22:06:04 UTC
Hi Lyn,

The belief is if we do the work in DB2, then it will run on ZIIP engines thus saving in CPU costs. I did mention this to a couple of the z/OS guys and they are saying that does not necessarily save costs. I'll pass on to them about measuring it carefully. We may have to figure that out.

I'll mention the RRS aspect to them as well.

I'm not sure at this point what language the SPs will be written in. Many are currently being generated, so I think they are C. I can check on that to be sure. We have only a handful of COBOL SPs. Since this is an existing application, perhaps they'll consider retaining that code and incorporating them into stored procedures.

The CICS trans may be doing VSAM work.

Thanks for the info! These are good things to know.

I've been invited to a meeting on the topic next week, so I should know more then.

Eileen Duchane | Sr Technical Engineer - ITS Middleware | ITS/Mainframe/Middleware/Monitoring
Meijer |982/2S | 2929 or 2727 Walker Ave. NW | Grand Rapids, MI 49544
P: 616-791-3638 (ext. 13638)
***@meijer.com

[...]

To unsubscribe, write to ***@LISTSERV.MEDUNIWIEN.AC.AT and, in the message body (not the subject), write: SIGNOFF MQSERIES Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the Listserv General Users Guide available at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://www.lsoft.com/&k=gtJB7%2FweHJVE%2B9YMGHZy9w%3D%3D%0A&r=ICx7BIIYTWw8IrEi5YKIQ%2FFuYZUyaOLU%2BJ2HgFqzDDE%3D%0A&m=L0R4MNULg8gwn5ZoPdNE6V1WEcn10rhTvAkFEucAq5Y%3D%0A&s=58cd8ac7875e3a8daba8f3258e4a6607e3cafe2aeea2011ed83a3a7281327783
Archive: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://listserv.meduniwien.ac.at/archives/mqser-l.html&k=gtJB7%2FweHJVE%2B9YMGHZy9w%3D%3D%0A&r=ICx7BIIYTWw8IrEi5YKIQ%2FFuYZUyaOLU%2BJ2HgFqzDDE%3D%0A&m=L0R4MNULg8gwn5ZoPdNE6V1WEcn10rhTvAkFEucAq5Y%3D%0A&s=38ab99c03eaf2853d53226b7c67c3350c84e391500bf72dc749acb714d94db45

NOTE: This electronic message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this message in error, any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Unless expressly stated in this e-mail, nothing in this message should be construed as a digital or electronic signature or writing.

Archive: http://listserv.meduniwien.ac.a

Lyn Elkins
2014-09-30 15:38:03 UTC
Also, please take a look at this: PI23325: WEBSPHERE MQ, INCONSISTENT RESULT BETWEEN WMQ AND DB2 DURING 2 PHASE COMMIT VIA RRS.