AW: qmgr looking for exits file that does not exist
Zimmermann, Kurt (IT/IPD)
2014-02-10 07:37:07 UTC

we had the same problem some time ago. The reason was an application that misused the format field in the message descriptor. They filled this field with information for a SAP-application and MQ searched for a converion-exit on /var/mqm/exit which did not exist.
Hope this information can help.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

W&W Informatik GmbH
IP Produktion 5 Datenbanken, Middleware

Kurt Zimmermann

Postanschrift: 71630 Ludwigsburg
Büroanschrift: Im Tambour 6, 71638 Ludwigsburg
Büro: K6 0542

Wüstenrot & Württembergische - Der Vorsorge-Spezialist

Telefon: 07141 16-755391
Telefax: 07141 16-855391
E-Mail: mailto:kurt.zimmermann-***@public.gmane.org
Internet: http://www.ww-informatik.de

W&W Informatik GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Jens Wieland, Ralph Wildermuth
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Michael Gutjahr
Sitz: Ludwigsburg, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 204709, USt-IdNr. DE 176036989

Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie diese E-Mail drucken.

2014-02-10 08:27:39 UTC
Well Well SAP , that can't be a coincidence, I'm currently on a Conference call with SAP support.
Looks like we are encountering the same symptom.

********************
Costa, D. (Damian)
2014-02-11 04:12:04 UTC
HI so it's confirmed that the format field has a value of BIN. To indicate binary value data. What is the proper way for this application to indicate that the data is in binary? I thought MQ was able to handle a binary format without having to look for userexits.

********************
Neil Casey
2014-02-11 04:19:56 UTC
Hi Damian,

if the application is expecting binary data, then it should not set MQGMO_CONVERT in the get message options.

If this is set, and the CCSID/encoding of the QM or app doesn’t match the message, then MQ wants to convert, and will look for the exit unless the format indicates a standard conversion (like for MQSTR or MQPCF or various other formats that the software knows how to convert without needing help from an exit).

Regards,

Neil

--
Neil Casey
Senior Consultant | Syntegrity Solutions

+61 414 615 334 neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org
Syntegrity Solutions Pty Ltd | Level 23 | 40 City Road | Southgate | VIC 3006
Analyse >> Integrate >> Secure >> Educate

Costa, D. (Damian)
2014-02-11 05:45:30 UTC
Hi thanks Niel,
So we are seeing the application get bounced, then the BIN format messages arrive on the queue .
The qmgr then tries to find the user exit for BIN continuously. This appears to halt processing of the data off the queue as there is no BIN user exit converter.
The error logs get flooded by the failure to find the userexit.
Then by some weird miracle the app is bounced again and the application and MQ merrily start to process the messages.
So what is MQ actually doing? Does it have a retry limit on the convert and them just after a so many unsuccessful retires passes the message over without converting?

Would it help if the FORMAT value is set to MQFMT_NONE? It would then imply no conversion and the message would be processed as it is with the BIN format value.
We saw 108 messages on the queue all in BIN format. I expect all messages are written to the queue with this FORMAT value. But it's not the only queue that is used in this system. So they'd have to confirm if all the queues are written to all queues in BIN format.

if the application is expecting binary data, then it should not set MQGMO_CONVERT in the get message options.

If this is set, and the CCSID/encoding of the QM or app doesn't match the message, then MQ wants to convert, and will look for the exit unless the format indicates a standard conversion (like for MQSTR or MQPCF or various other formats that the software knows how to convert without needing help from an exit).

Regards,

Neil

--
Neil Casey
Senior Consultant | Syntegrity Solutions

[cid:image001.jpg-VvKebYrT+5/***@public.gmane.org] +61 414 615 334<tel:+61%20414%20615%20334>[cid:image002.jpg-VvKebYrT+5/***@public.gmane.org] neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org <mailto:neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org>
Syntegrity Solutions Pty Ltd<http://www.syntegrity.com.au/> | Level 23 | 40 City Road | Southgate | VIC 3006
Analyse >> Integrate >> Secure >> Educate

[cid:image003.png-VvKebYrT+5/***@public.gmane.org]

________________________________

********************
Neil Casey
2014-02-11 05:59:40 UTC
Hi Damian,

that does indeed sound very strange. Perhaps the application is able to determine that it should not use convert, but only if the message which fails conversion is available when the application starts? I certainly can’t think of any reason that MQ would stop trying to do conversion.

According the my reading of the manuals, when the conversion fails (due to the missing module) the message should be returned to the application with MQCC_WARNING and MQRC_NOT_CONVERTED. Perhaps your applications are just saying “Well, this is not an error, so everything must be OK” and are just continuing with the message they receive. Alternatively, if they are looking at the MQCC or MQRC being non-zero, and they cause a rollback, then you would expect to get an infinite loop unless they are doing poison message processing.

I don’t know why MQ would keep reporting the error in the log until the application is bounced though.

Regards,

Neil

Costa, D. (Damian)
2014-02-11 06:19:39 UTC
HI Nile,
Well it's all useful info you're supplying here. At least you're giving me the developers perspective. I am still trying to resolve this with an MQ admin hat on.
I think the solution lies in the code of the application itself which is why I'm making no headway here with the MQ admin hat on.
There is so much inconsistency here it's crazy. The timing of the errors in the log are at a time when the queue itself does not show a connection from that same application.
So there are only two possibilities: there are other queues that are being written to in BIN format and ARE/AREN'T being processed. Or the qmgr is in a knot and isn't showing the connections to the queue that has all the unprocessed BIN format messages.

Anyway we'll have a good long talk with the SAP team when they come online in the next conf call.

And worst of all in QA a similar test shows a normally processing system with no errors regarding a missing userexit even though the MQ format value is BIN.

I might even consider running a trace on prod but when we ran it on the Test bed there was a real slow down in performance.

<Now pulling my hair out....>

[cid:image001.jpg-***@public.gmane.org] +61 414 615 334<tel:+61%20414%20615%20334>[cid:image002.jpg-***@public.gmane.org] neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org <mailto:neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org>

[cid:image003.png-***@public.gmane.org]

<image001.jpg> +61 414 615 334<tel:+61%20414%20615%20334><image002.jpg> neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org <mailto:neil.casey-VLLIzlmz+***@public.gmane.org>

Internet: http://www.ww-informatik.de<http://www.ww-informatik.de/>

Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)
2014-02-11 13:02:04 UTC
Years ago we had one app that needed to listen on one queue only (don't ask), but had to deal with 2 types of messages - plain character data replies from the mainframe, and PDF files from a .NET app. The mainframe messages needed conversion, the PDFs needed to be ingested without "MQ messing them up".

The ingesting app specified MQGMO_CONVERT for all its MQGETs.

The mainframe did what it always did, sending the messages with the MQMD.Format set to "MQSTR ". These messages were successfully converted by the QM and the app was happy.
The .NET app sending the PDF files set the MQMD.Format to none. The consuming app got a warning on these MQGETs of the PDF file that no conversion took place. The logic forked over to the PDF path, where the app checked if it was a valid PDF, and if yes continued down the path in the app to process the PDF file. And the app was happy.

Over the years we've seen the craziest things for exits the queue manager was looking for, because vendor code would think they're all that and a bag of chips by coding some weird value in the MQMD.Format to identify their oh so special messages.

-Peter Potkay

[...]

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.
Bruce Lerner
2014-02-11 15:36:17 UTC
"HI so it's confirmed that the format field has a value of BIN... to
indicate binary value data. "

No.

Specifying a value in the MQMD format field identifies either a
WMQ-supported data type (like MQFMT_NONE, or MQFMT_CICS), or it names a
conversion utility program. Since 'BIN' is not one of the WMQ-supported
data types, then it is presumed to be the name a conversion utility.

Refer to the WMQ Constants manual or equivalent InfoCenter) for supported
MQFMT_ names and values.

So, if the Format field literally contains BIN, and the consuming app
specifies GMO_CONVERT, then the qmgr will search the exits library for an
executable named BIN before handing the message to the consuming application.

If your SENDER channel specifies CONVERT(YES), then the MCA will try to find
BIN is the exits library on the SENDER end of the channel, and convert the
data before sending the message across the channel.

If your SENDER channel def does not specify CONVERT(YES), no attempt will be
made to load the BIN on the SENDER end. If the consuming app does not
specify MQGMO_CONVERT, then no attempt will be made to load BIN on the
consuming end.

"What is the proper way for this application to indicate that the data is
in binary? I thought MQ was able to handle a binary format without having to
look for userexits."

WMQ does not care about your application data. WMQ will NOT attempt
conversion of your data UNLESS you specify either CONVERT(YES) or
MQGMO_CONVERT.

If the consuming app needs to understand something about the message data,
the consuming app should/could look at the format field, and take some kind
of application-level action.

Roger Lacroix
2014-02-11 15:57:05 UTC
All,

> Over the years we've seen the craziest things for exits the queue
manager was looking for, because vendor code would think they're all
that and a bag of chips by coding some weird value in the MQMD.Format
to identify their oh so special messages.

That falls into the dumb-a$$ category. Or the programmer/developer is
just too lazy to read the manual about MQMD.Format and to skip a
couple of paragraphs and read about the MQMD.ApplIdentityData
field. ApplIdentityData is where you put information (meta-data)
related to the message.

From the MQ InfoCenter: ApplIdentityData is information that is
defined by the application suite that can be used to provide
additional information about the origin of the message.

If the programmer/developer needs to set "BIN" somewhere, it is in
the ApplIdentityData field and not in the Format field that should be used.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Bruce Lerner