ASCII to EBCDIC Translation
Ward, Mike S
2013-11-05 22:45:21 UTC
Hello all, it's me again asking another dumb question.

We have an application that runs on a windows box. It communicates via MQ to a z/OS mainframe running MQ V71. And Message broker V8. The application on windows communicates with the MF via a V7.1 MQ client via a server connection channel.

The broker sits and waits for messages to enter the request queue. Once a message reaches the request queue, the broker reads it and does message transformation and sends it on to cics.

What we are trying to figure out is when the message is converted from ASCII to EBCDIC. The programmer swears that he does not do it at the windows box, and the MQ guy says that these are server connection channels and unlike real sender channels there is no switch to set for data conversion. After speaking with the WMB programmer he says he does nothing special to convert the message from ASCII to EBCDIC. Am I missing something? Where does the conversion take place? Could it be at the CICS program level?

Any help with this question(s) is appreciated.

TIA

Mike.

==========================
This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this message by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Roger Lacroix
2013-11-05 23:02:19 UTC
Hi Mike,

> We have an application that runs on a windows box. It communicates
via MQ to a z/OS mainframe running MQ V71. And Message broker V8.

I take it that MB is on z/OS.

> Where does the conversion take place?

MB is most likely doing an "MQGet with Convert". Hence, the queue
manager is doing the data conversion before it is handed to MB.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Ward, Mike S
2013-11-05 23:04:23 UTC
Yes MB is on z/OS, and thanks that makes sense will follow it up.

the Listserv General Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com<http://www.lsoft.com/>

________________________________

==========================

Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)
2013-11-06 13:38:30 UTC
If the MQ Client application is JMS I do believe that JMS could do the convert for the client app before the message got sent down the client channel.

Peter Potkay

At 05:45 PM 11/5/2013, you wrote:
[...]

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.
Jefferson Lowrey
2013-11-06 14:14:19 UTC
Actually, it's not as likely that MB will be doing a Get With Convert,
unless the checkbox on the MQInput node is clicked.

So what will happen is that MB will read the message as ASCII, parse it
using the appropriate model into a logical message tree. This converts
all of the ASCII data into CCSID 1200. Then MB transforms the logical
message tree, and sends it to an MQOutput node (or maybe a CICS request
node), which serializes the message tree according to the new model. The
new model could indicate that the data is supposed to be in EBCDIC, so
this process would turn 1200 into the appropriate EBCDIC code page.

Thank you,

Jeff Lowrey

From: "Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)"
<Peter.Potkay-***@public.gmane.org>
To: MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org,
Date: 11/06/2013 08:39 AM
Subject: Re: [MQSERIES] ASCII to EBCDIC Translation
Sent by: MQSeries List <MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org>

At 05:45 PM 11/5/2013, you wrote:
[...]

List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe
========================== This email, and any files transmitted with it,
is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to which it is addressed. If you have received this email in error,
please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential
information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not
the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this
e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have
received this message by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing,
copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited.

List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe
Edenfield, Lee
2013-11-06 14:43:41 UTC
OR ... all of the below, but MB writes the message as ASCII and the CICS application reads with convert and converts to EBCDIC. There can be (and probably are) multiple code page translations happening in this scenario.

Lee Edenfield, HagemeyerNA (843.745.2477)

From: "Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)" <Peter.Potkay-***@public.gmane.org<mailto:Peter.Potkay-***@public.gmane.org>>
To: MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org<mailto:MQSERIES-JX7+***@public.gmane.orguniwien.ac.at>,
Date: 11/06/2013 08:39 AM
Sent by: MQSeries List <MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org<mailto:MQSERIES-JX7+OpRa80QeFbOYke1v4oOpTq8/***@public.gmane.org>>
________________________________

At 05:45 PM 11/5/2013, you wrote:
[...]

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This email may contain confidential or proprietary business information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this communication, including attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you believe that you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.
Tim Zielke
2013-11-06 15:07:24 UTC
Hi Mike,

I would recommend running MQ traces on z/OS to get to the bottom of where the converts are actually happening, if you need to know for sure.

Thanks,
Tim

Ward, Mike S
2013-11-06 21:01:04 UTC
Thanks, and thanks everyone for the replies.