Adding new setting to SSL stanza (case sensitive?)
JAIME GUINOT GOMEZ
2013-09-13 11:00:11 UTC
Hi listers,

Does anyone know if adding new settings to the SSL stanza is case sensitive? I've found different examples from IBM and other forums and it's not clear to me. What I mean is the following:

· OCSPAuthentication=OPTIONAL

· OCSPCheckExtensions=NO

Or like this:

OCSPAuthentication=Optional

OCSPCheckExtensions=NO

Or even:

OCSPAuthentication=OPTIONAL

OCSPCheckExtensions=no

Thanks in advance,
Jaime Guinot Gómez

¿Necesita imprimir este mensaje? Protejamos el medio ambiente * Li cal imprimir aquest missatge? Protegim el medi ambient * Precisa imprimir esta mensaxe? Protexamos o ambiente * Beharrezkoa da mezu hau inprimatzea? Babestu dezagun ingurumena * Do you need to print this message? Let's protect the environment

Advertencia legal: la información de este mensaje de correo electrónico es confidencial y se dirige exclusivamente al destinatario previsto. Si usted ha recibido el mensaje por error, por favor, notifíquelo al remitente y bórrelo sin copiarlo, grabarlo ni distribuirlo.

Advertiment legal: la informació d'aquest missatge de correu electrònic és confidencial i s'adreça exclusivament al destinatari previst. Si ha rebut el missatge per error, sisplau, notifiqui-ho al remitent i esborri'l sense copiar-lo, enregistrar-lo ni distribuir-lo.

Advertencia legal: a información desta mensaxe de correo electrónico é confidencial e diríxese exclusivamente ó destinatario previsto. Se vostede recibiu a mensaxe por erro, por favor, notifíquello ó remitente e bórrea sen copiala, gravala nin distribuíla.

Lege-ohartarazpena: mezu elektroniko honetako informazioa konfidentziala da, eta aurreikusitako hartzaileak jaso behar du. Mezu hau hutsegiteren baten ondorioz jaso baduzu, arren, jakinaraz iezaiozu bidaltzaileari, eta ezabatu mezua, hura kopiatu, grabatu edo banatu gabe.

Legal warning: the information contained in this e-mail message is confidential and is for the exclusive attention of the planned recipient. If you have received the message by error, please notify the sender and delete the message without copying, recording or distributing it.

Tim Zielke
2013-09-14 13:26:13 UTC
Hello Jaime,

I have been curious in the past about how the qm.ini attributes operate, so I ran some tests and traces using the NoLogBuffer qm.ini attribute to see if I could better understand how this works. For your two specific examples of OCSPAuthentication and OCSPCheckExtensions, I would recommend opening a service request with IBM to get a definitive answer. But this is what I observed with testing with the NoLogBuffer attribute (and also an editorial comment from the peanut gallery :-) ).

#1 - There is name validation and error reporting (in the MQ trace) if you use an invalid attribute name in the qm.ini file. For example, if you incorrectly typed NooLogBuffer, that value would be ignored and reported as an error in the trace.
#2 - If the qm.ini attribute name is valid, then case sensitivity for the attribute value did not matter. For NoLogBuffer, either true or TRUE was recognized as TRUE (what appears to be the default value for NoLogBuffer), and false or FALSE were recognized as FALSE.
#3 - Invalid attribute value names were promoted to the default value. For example, I tried NoLogBuffer=blah and that acted as NoLogBuffer=TRUE. Also, there was no errors produced for this invalid attribute value.

Peanut gallery comment - Promoting invalid qm.ini attribute values to the default value like in #3 is tenuous, at best. I would prefer to see a hard error that prevents the queue manager from starting and forcing the administrator to use a valid value.

So based on my observations with NoLogBuffer, I would think you could use OPTIONAL or optional and NO or no for those OCSP attributes. But again, confirming this with IBM would be best.

Tim Zielke
CICS/MQ Systems Programmer
Aon

________________________________

Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)
2013-09-14 16:09:58 UTC
Maybe IBM has beefed this up so case no longer matters, and/or maybe case only matters for some of the attributes, but I remember in the ol' days we wasted a few days chasing a problem until we finally discovered that at least for the one parm we were dealing with, at least back in MQ 6 (or maybe even 5.3), No did not equal NO.

Peter Potkay

[...]

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.
Andrew Hickson
2013-09-14 20:21:25 UTC
Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules for the case sensitivity of
qm.ini attributes.

For example the attribute names and the attribute values in the Log stanza
are case sensitive, whereas the attribute names and attribute values in
the SSL stanza are not.
In the case of documented attributes, such as those above, the product
documentation should state what case is required/tolerated.
In the case of undocumented parameters (such as "NoLogBuffering"), these
parameters should generally be used on the advice of MQ L2/L3, who again
should explain any case sensitivity. In the absence of any explicit
statement on case sensitivity the parameters should be assumed to be case
sensitive and entered exactly as specified by L2/L3.

From: Tim Zielke <***@AON.COM>
To: ***@listserv.meduniwien.ac.at
Date: 14/09/2013 14:26
Sent by: MQSeries List <***@listserv.meduniwien.ac.at>

[...]

List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe

List Archive - Manage Your List Settings - Unsubscribe

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.
Tim Zielke
2013-09-15 14:26:36 UTC
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the clarification. I did not see case sensitivity documented in the MQ 7.1 manual for the SSL stanza attributes. Therefore, I raised the following feedback request on the "Changing queue manager configuration information" document in the MQ 7.1 manual.

"For each qm.ini attribute or value that is documented in this section, please include whether or not the attribute or value is case sensitive. Also, please specify which attributes will promote an invalid value to the default value. I see this documented for the SSL stanza, but it is ambiguous for some of the other stanzas that I checked."

Thanks,
Tim

JAIME GUINOT GOMEZ
2013-09-16 08:09:47 UTC
Thanks Andrew, now it’s a bit clear to me! ☺

Jaime Guinot Gómez

From: Tim Zielke <***@AON.COM<mailto:***@AON.COM>>
To: ***@listserv.meduniwien.ac.at<mailto:***@listserv.meduniwien.ac.at>
Date: 14/09/2013 14:26