Socket number 1036 exceeds fd_setsize(1024) - anyone else seen this error?
Barton, Linda
2014-02-26 18:49:05 UTC
Hello Listers!

We are having an interesting issue with our WPS (WebSphere Process Server) applications when they are co-located with MQ. Under load, we get MQ FDCs with Probe ID XY029004, XY029002.
The comment is "socket number 10xx' exceeds fd_setsize(1024)". We are running on Linux 2.6.18-348.el5, zLinux (s390x)
MQ version is 7.0.1.9
WPS version is 7.0.0.27

We experience slow response times when this happens. In one environment, we upgraded to MQ 7.0.1.9 and set export AMQ_DONT_USE_SELECT_FOR_SOCKMTX=1 in our MQ startup script. MQ has been restarted several times. We continue to see the issue. So then we thought perhaps the ID WPS is running under should have that set as well, although no mention of it is made by IBM. We have a PMR open right now, but so far their response is to do what we have done already.

Has anyone else run in to this issue? Were you able to fix it? How?
And if we are to change the app from using select to Poll, how is that accomplished if it is IBM WPS code? (I know, probably a question for IBM)

Any insight will be appreciated!

Linda Barton

Tim Zielke
2014-02-26 19:03:40 UTC
Hi Linda,

We had a very similar issue when we moved a WAS application that connected locally to the queue manager from Solaris 10 to Linux. The resolution was using an environment variable that sounded very similar to what you listed there. However, it was the WAS application, not the queue manager that needed to set it. What is probably happening there is the MQ stub code that gets included into the application process needs to be told to do a poll vs. a select.

Thanks,
Tim

________________________________

Barton, Linda
2014-02-26 19:12:11 UTC
Thanks Tim.

Linda Barton

Tim Zielke
2014-02-26 19:24:44 UTC
You're welcome.

The command below was also helpful for post-verification that the application processes were actually picking up the environment variable change.

Ex. your application is running under pid 1234

Run the following command to see all the environment variables when the 1234 process was first created. You should see the AMQ variable listed there, if it was set when the process was created.

xargs -n 1 -0 < /proc/1234/environ

Tim

Barton, Linda
2014-02-26 19:42:59 UTC
Wicked awesome.
Thanks!

Linda Barton
From somewhere in the north...

Barton, Linda
2014-03-06 20:48:22 UTC
Hi folks, just an update. IBM has had us create a WAS environment variable with export AMQ_DONT_USE_SELECT_FOR_SOCKMTX=1.
We have recycled our appservers and testing so far has not produced an error.
The true test will be in production. Stay tuned...

Linda Barton