Integration with vendor product..
Coombs, Lawrence
2014-06-19 19:03:04 UTC
I am working on an integration project with a vendor product and they would like to send me 11 MB messages over a client channel over a WAN . The queue manager is at WMQ 7.5.0.2. I am trying my best to discourage them from doing this, but so far I have been unsuccessful. I have suggested message grouping but they have no idea what I am talking about.

What are some technical reasons I could use to dissuade them from doing this?

This message, including any attachments, is the property of Sears Holdings Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries. It is confidential and may contain proprietary or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it without reading the contents. Thank you.

Bob Juch
2014-06-19 19:05:46 UTC
What are your reasons for your objection?

Bob Juch

Coombs, Lawrence
2014-06-19 22:24:07 UTC
Network.

________________________________

________________________________

Roger Lacroix
2014-06-19 22:34:59 UTC
Hi Lawrence,

A message of 11MB over a WAN is not a big deal. How many messages
per minute do you expect? If it is 1 per minute then it is not a big
deal, whereas if it is 100 per minute then maybe you have a point.

Besides, if they broke the message into segments, what is your
preferred message size? 1MB or 500KB or 75KB.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

Coombs, Lawrence

Paul Clarke
2014-06-20 06:08:42 UTC
My concern with 11MB would just be the worry about what it might lead to. We all know that really large messages, eg 100MB, messages are bad, for all sorts of reasons. An 11MB message implies to me that the application is putting all it’s data in a single message. This therefore implies that the application has not been coded to send it’s data in chunks. So, the concern is that a request for 11MB today will be 22MB next year and 40MB in year after that.

In this day and age certainly 11MB is not a huge amount of data but it still causes MQ to do slightly unnatural things. Personally I would prefer it if the application sent 11 x 1MB messages. That way I would know that in 5 years time the application will still work just fine and they won’t start bitching to me that they can no longer fit all their data into a single 100MB message.

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul Clarke
www.mqgem.com

Potkay, Peter M (CTO Architecture + Engineering)
2014-06-20 12:05:36 UTC
“In this day and age certainly 11MB is not a huge amount of data but it still causes MQ to do slightly unnatural things.”

Do tell

Peter Potkay

www.mqgem.com<http://www.mqgem.com>

I am working on an integration project with a vendor product and they would like to send me 11 MB messages over a client channel over a WAN . The queue manager is at WMQ 7.5.0.2. I am trying my best to discourage them from doing this, but so far I have been unsuccessful. I have suggested message grouping but they have no idea what I am talking about.

What are some technical reasons I could use to dissuade them from doing this?
This message, including any attachments, is the property of Sears Holdings Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries. It is confidential and may contain proprietary or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it without reading the contents. Thank you.

________________________________

________________________________

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.
Paul Clarke
2014-06-20 13:06:30 UTC
Well it’s nothing terribly exciting but you can imagine yourself the kinds of things that go on. When an application connects to MQ the MQI layer has to make all sorts of ‘guesses’ about what it might do and what messages it might be processing. It ‘assumes’ that messages will be less than 11MB. So, if it comes across a larger message then it has to do things slightly differently, quite probably allocating slightly more memory.

As I said before I don’t think 11MB messages are too bad. In terms of just raw speed of a single application I wouldn’t be surprised if an 11MB message is slightly faster than 11 x 1MB messages. However, this may not be the case as the message gets bigger and bigger. And bear in mind that the message is your unit of recovery. If you are sending this message over a client link then it may well be advantageous to send each 1MB separately. Certainly you wouldn’t want to send 100MB in one go since a comms failure after 99MB would mean retransmitting the entire thing.

At the end of the day it is down to individual preference and experimentation. MQ wouldn’t support 100MB if it were a truly awful thing to do, they just don’t recommend it. Not least of which is because it’s a hard stop. I think it unlikely that MQ will ever support message sizes bigger than 100MB. I think there is a need for bulk data transfer via MQ, perhaps a little like MFT, but I doubt it would be strictly message based. As a consequence any application needing to send large bits of information should, in my view, bite the bullet now and just design the application so the data can be segmented. After all, it’s not exactly hard. Better that than needing to send 101MB and the application and all the down stream applications that have been built up around it being SOL.

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul Clarke
www.mqgem.com

Peter D
2014-06-20 14:08:45 UTC
Agree whole heartily - I have a client who's mq-fte fails 99x per day - Even tho FTE handles the packaging and repackaging it's still on a 'Queue' with a definition of ###. I can't imagine what would happen if that were a user app trying to do that process?!

Precedent setting in IT is many times a good move in order to prevent future headaches.

As Paul suggests - if I'm built to add on railroad cars of a certain length each time - I just add more as needed ... If I need to reset my track for a new size ... well ... That's ongoing construction.

/Pete

Coombs, Lawrence

Edenfield, Lee
2014-06-20 12:39:45 UTC
I regularly deal with large messages. There are issues, but as long as the volume is low it usually works ok. If they are using client bindings, make sure the developers know that the risk of failure on a put or get operation increases with large message size and they need to make sure they properly code for this.

From a network perspective, the amount of data transferred is slightly less with a single large message than with a bunch of small ones. The real issue is reliability. A message should ideally contain a single unit of work. I wonder about the design of an application where a single UOW contains a variable amount of data ranging from below 1MB to over 11MB.

Lee Edenfield, HagemeyerNA (843.745.2477)

[...]

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This email may contain confidential or proprietary business information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this communication, including attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you believe that you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.
Tim Zielke
2014-06-20 13:38:52 UTC
When you start introducing larger messages (and consequently longer running units of work), be aware of the impact it can have on your transaction log. You may need to increase it, and it is a good idea that you are proactively monitoring for log getting full messages.

Lawrence – Since this is a client app, unfortunately that would fall on your shoulders.

Thanks,
Tim

I regularly deal with large messages. There are issues, but as long as the volume is low it usually works ok. If they are using client bindings, make sure the developers know that the risk of failure on a put or get operation increases with large message size and they need to make sure they properly code for this.

From a network perspective, the amount of data transferred is slightly less with a single large message than with a bunch of small ones. The real issue is reliability. A message should ideally contain a single unit of work. I wonder about the design of an application where a single UOW contains a variable amount of data ranging from below 1MB to over 11MB.

Jefferson Lowrey
2014-06-20 13:40:40 UTC
Also, ask the vendor team what they'll do when the message reaches 101 MB.

Thank you,

Jeff Lowrey

From: Tim Zielke <***@AON.COM>
To: ***@listserv.meduniwien.ac.at
Date: 06/20/2014 08:39 AM
Subject: Re: [MQSERIES] Integration with vendor product..
Sent by: MQSeries List <***@listserv.meduniwien.ac.at>

When you start introducing larger messages (and consequently longer
running units of work), be aware of the impact it can have on your
transaction log. You may need to increase it, and it is a good idea that
you are proactively monitoring for log getting full messages.

Lawrence – Since this is a client app, unfortunately that would fall on
your shoulders.

Thanks,
Tim

I regularly deal with large messages. There are issues, but as long as the
volume is low it usually works ok. If they are using client bindings, make
sure the developers know that the risk of failure on a put or get
operation increases with large message size and they need to make sure
they properly code for this.

From a network perspective, the amount of data transferred is slightly
less with a single large message than with a bunch of small ones. The real
issue is reliability. A message should ideally contain a single unit of
work. I wonder about the design of an application where a single UOW
contains a variable amount of data ranging from below 1MB to over 11MB.

David Awerbuch (BLOOMBERG/ 120 PARK)
2014-06-20 12:14:09 UTC
With this in mind, perhaps folks could share their anecdotes regarding WMQ and large messages? I have worked with multi-megabyte messages in the past without issues, but that was also in a low volume environment. Thanks, Dave

Dominique Courtois
2014-06-20 13:18:24 UTC
Hi all,
I had this kind of discussion with customers or partners numerous times in the past.
My experience is that when you argue as a technician because you understand that WMQ is not used in the most efficient way you are likely to be eventually defeated.
WMQ uses system ressources efficiently and most of the resource comsumption seen by users comes from application code (business rules, DB access, I/O and so ...). Changing the way they use WMQ usually doesn't mean anything they can measure (technical resources or mere money). This turned very often to be a very dubious batlle.

What I did the last years was to ensure that reliability was good and that any possible problem would not be missed. So I did not fight much for what I thought was the "right way to go" but only tried to draw the attention on the possible risk or not optimal use.

Regards

Dominique