MH06 Released
T.Rob
2013-11-26 16:43:16 UTC
Way to go, Tim!

MH06: WebSphere MQ - Distributed Trace Tools
http://ibm.co/SupptPacMH06
Author: Tim Zielke, CICS/MQ Systems Programmer for Aon

This SupportPac provides simple command line tools (mqtrcfrmt and mqoptions)
to aid in reading distributed MQ traces.

Will have to try this one out soon. Current client has some tracing needs.

-- T.Rob

Tim Zielke
2013-11-26 18:07:41 UTC
Thanks, T.Rob!

One note is that the supportpac says it is for 7.1, because I originally built and tested it against 7.1 (which was our latest MQ release at the time). However, we recently started working with 7.5, so I was able to validate it against 7.5, as well. The only difference I saw between 7.1 and 7.5 traces/constants is a new constant MQOT_CLNTCONN_CHANNEL for the ObjectType field in the MQOD at 7.5. I do have a proposed update to MH06 that will handle that small change between 7.1 and 7.5.

I personally have found the mqtrcfrmt tool very helpful. I probably use it weekly since I wrote it several months ago. The MQ API trace (i.e. strmqtrc -m qmgr -p myprog -t api) is very helpful for reviewing MQ applications and problem determination, but it is mostly a binary dump of the data structures like message descriptor, object descriptor, so it is time consuming to decipher it. The mqtrcfrmt tool will expand out these data structures in the trace like message descriptor and object descriptor into a human readable format that lists the individual fields, their numeric/character values, and also the constants that the numeric/character values represent. It can save hours in reading a distributed trace, and also makes the API trace something you can quickly use for problem determination during incident management.

mqoptions is a simpler program that will take the numeric value of an option like GMO, and print out the constant values it converts to.

Thanks,

Author: Tim Zielke, CICS/MQ Systems Programmer for Aon